Saturday, January 29, 2005

Coffee Cult Day

I'm holding back on the caffeine because today is coffee-cult day. Happens every Saturday at Di Luna's Restauant in Sandpoint. I've been participating for nearly three years now.

My personal coffee-cult group started getting together at least 20 years ago, so I'm definitely a babe-in-arms among the women. They welcomed me in one March day prior to my retirement in 2002. Back then, they were meeting at Griff and Willy's on First Avenue.

They've changed venues several times after starting out at the Pastime, one of Sandpoint's old-time favorite gathering spots. It's been replaced by a Chinese Restaurant. When the coffee cult first met there, most of them worked in downtown businesses.

That's changed a bit. Now most have retired and just pick up a few bucks here and there at part-time jobs. Maggie, one of the more matriarchal drinkers, runs a daycare center at Dover. She also helps run Dover's business as a city council person. Alice, the cult president, works at the liquor store and adheres to a strict policy of not sharing with us names of her regular customers. She's no fun!

Joan and Pearl, after retiring from the Sandpoint Post Office and having enough of the stay-at-home retirment stuff, teamed up last spring to manage the Kootenai Post Office. They replaced the lady who'd been there for 44 years. Joan tells me she'd like to achieve a 50-year run at being employed during her lifetime. Pearl says she's just gotta stay busy.

Frances used to work at a meat-packing plant. She and her hubby like to golf these days. Sue and her husband used to own a local pharmacy and gift shop. Carol worked for several years at a downtown clothing shop. Donna has left us for a few months on her annual pilgrimage to Arizona and sunshine.

Betsy's been fighting off bouts of cancer. She and her husband just sold their thriving antique store, so we're getting to see more of Betsy now. Penny, a retired nurse, calls herself the high-maintenance member. She was telling me last week about how hypnosis has helped her lose nearly 30 pounds in the past few months.

Laura, who's moved to St. Maries, came by last Saturday to show off her huge diamond. She's divorced and getting remarried. So, we all went "ooooh and aaaaah." I'm sure she appreciated our approval.

I know I've forgotten someone, but after I've tanked up on a little more caffeine, any missing names shall be added to this post.

Everyone should have a coffee cult. No pressure. Lots of laughs and a sense of warmth, knowing there's a group of friends who will always welcome you and whatever you have to contribute to the weekly chatter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, methinks I know most of your club members! Say hi to Sue and Joan for me. I haven't seen either of them for ages. I am not positive who the others are, but think I know. Sounds like tons of fun.