Friday, February 18, 2005

Couldn't spell gglober; now I are one

Now, I don't want to lead anyone astray by today's headline. It's an out-and-out lie. I do know how to spell; in fact, my spelling ability directed me toward my English/journalism major. Lately, I've read much about the blogger phenomenon and must comment.

This morning's paper even has a cartoon about bloggers disordering the houses of mainstream media. Yesterday, I read a Peggy Noonan column (http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/) about the same subject. It was called "The Blogs Must Be Crazy."

As always, Peggy gives readers a full plate to chew on while satisfying their palates with phenomenally, well-thought out writing. If ya can't tell, she's one of my journalistic heroes. And, if you've never read her stuff, click that link.

I must share a history of my blogdom. It came about during Thanksgiving, 2004, when my little brother Jim, an Oregon architect, brought home a booklet of his cartoons. He asked if I knew of any avenues where he could get them published. So, I wrote to Dave Oliveria and asked him if the Spokesman (www.spokesmanreview.com) might be interested. Had already been reading and enjoying Oliveria's blog.

His response regarding Jim's wishes to be published in a print newspaper wasn't too encouraging. Nonetheless, the connection flashed on a lightbulb in my dimlit brain. Why not try our own blog, I thought. So, one Saturday night, I experimented with the blogging program and shocked myself by actually figuring it out.

When you've created your own blog, it's like seeing a photographic print taking on life in a darkroom tray for the first time ever. It's like magic. Containing my glee, I wrote to Jim and told him to give it a try.

Within a couple of days, his first cartoon appeared. We've been having a blast at blogging ever since that night in December, 2004. And, we're both very indebted to Oliveria for including our work on his highly successful "Huckleberries Online" (www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/nhb/).

Why blog? Personally, I've found that blogging satifies my endless desires to sound off---whether it's an observation of beauty, history, family happenings, personal journeys, or even to spew otherwise controlled venom toward governments of the people, by the people, for the people but really for the cash registers.

For brother Jim, the talented cartoonist, this venture has led him to a whole new opportunity. He's an avid hang glider. After we started blogging, he submitted some cartoons to the sport's official magazine. Now, he's illustrating articles and submitting cartoons on a regular basis. I'm happy for him, but I hope he doesn't get too busy to keep up with our "Slight Detour" blog. By the way, the catchy name is his idea. If ya can't tell, he's a punny guy.

I've created another blog for my 40th-year class reunion, set to occur here in Sandpoint this summer. Although I haven't convinced all the "blurkers" in the Sandpoint High School Class of 1965 to join in and post their thoughts, a few have given it a try and others let me know they ARE reading. In this case, all classmates have been given the same password, so they can post at any time. I just monitor it and continue to encourage their efforts.

Another friend, Chris, started blogging a few weeks ago. She and her husband like to travel. So, her aim is to post pictures and commentary for family members. Others I know, like Andrea and Gina, just plain like to write, so they create online.

One final note. In my case, I'll never post anything that is inaccurate on my blog. Journalism and its ethics rule my every move. If I make a mistake, I'll correct it. That's another beauty of blogs. Mistakes don't last forever. With the punch of a few keys, they can be erased quickly. So, therein lies another reason to blog.

Well, I've babbled a lot about blogging this morning, but like Oliveria has done in reviewing his one-year anniversary this week, I'm having a good time looking back and enjoying what my brother and I have created. Besides, we've enriched our sibling relationship through our blogging bond.

Also, if you're enjoying the blog, start your own. It's fairly easy to follow the instructions. And, if you don't want to do that, add comments or send me an email (malove@imbris.net). I'll include your thoughts wherever appropriate. Maybe that's the next step for me----to go interactive.

Thanks for sticking with Jim's and my "Slight Detour."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marianne,

Couldn't help picking on your reference to "journalistic ethics." I have to be a little curious where one might find those listed...and what are the conventions for enforcement? Would they be as practiced by the likes of Dan Rather or Edward R. Murrow? Would it be the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times? National Review or The New Republic. I guess my point is that, unless there is some charter to which journalists subscribe to...and revere as a standard...methinks that the phrase "journalistic ethics" might be a bit squishy. It would be nice if it were true, but I don't think such an animal is part of our biosphere...

From your elder bro'...Mike

Anonymous said...

Marianne, I don't know you personaly but have your books, read your bylines in the paper, and now your blog from time to time.
So how the words inactive, doesn't ring true for a description of you.

Anonymous said...

Marianne, I don't know you personaly but have your books, read your bylines in the paper, and now your blog from time to time.
Some how the words inactive, doesn't ring true for a description of you.

MLove said...

To Mike: I know there are no absolutes, and that statement in itself is an absolute, but there's no harm in trying to do one's best in following journalistic ethics. So, I may not be absolutely ethical, but I do my best. Guess that's all we can expect, but I do agree that it's certainly scary when some "journalists'" level best descends far below the commonly-expected bar.

To Cis, the retired: Thanks for you comments and thanks for reading my books. I'll find your blog one of these times when I figure all this stuff out. 'Til then, I appreciate your interest.

Marianne