Thursday, March 31, 2005

My window on the world

Hardly a day passes that I'm NOT reminded of the everlasting bounties of a teaching career. So, from time to time, I'll use my blog to share some of the pleasant after-effects of my 33 years as a high school English/journalism instructor at Sandpoint High School.

On this day, since birthdays have dominated the week, I must start with Chad Berkley who turned 28 today. I first knew of Chad when he played rec league basketball with my son Willie. They were sixth graders then. Chad, Willie and Brian Smith towered above their classmates and definitely stood out in a crowd.

Later, Chad showed up in my English class. That led to journalism and his eventual reign as Cedar Post editor in 1995. By that time, Chad also played a mean game of varsity soccer (a daunting goalie) and immersed himself into the computer world and the Internet. His computer skills helped us produce an award-winning high school newspaper and kept the counseling department happy when he spearheaded and produced their registration booklet.

His computer prowess also got him into a bit of trouble one day in the school library. He accepted responsibility for his actions but got dealt a draconian punishment for his oversight. Believing he was being made an unfair example, I went to bat for him. The shouting match between me and the principal at the time remains legendary among the office staff who had no trouble hearing heated comments through the closed doors. Everyone eventually moved past the dispute.

Chad attended and graduated from the University of Montana, winning a couple of Presidential awards. He now works in some high-tech mode at the University of California Santa Barbara. And, still, ten years later, I'd go to bat for him any day because of his loyalty and his willingness to help me out at any moment with my computer woes. I call on him frequently and he usually walks me through the problem. So, Chad, Happy Birthday, and thanks for your continued friendship and help.

Yesterday, while going to Vanderford's to purchase three copies of another former student's new book (Sandy Compton's Archer MacCLehan and The Hungry Now), I saw former teaching colleague Rik Mikkelsen walk in the door. He'd seen me head to the store, so he tracked me down to tell me his son Chase was around the block picking up items for his trip to Norway.

Chase is half Gros Ventre Indian and half Norwegian. Like Chad, he's an outstanding soccer player---in fact, Idaho's best his senior year. He was my English student for two years and honored me and three other of his teacher/coaches at the end of his senior year with a "Giveaway Party." We were all told that day by Chase how much we'd meant to him on his road to maturity. Then, we were each given an Indian star quilt, a braid of sweet grass and some handmade jewelry.

So, of course, Chase occupies a special place in my heart, and, of course, I was thrilled to "chase" him down and give him a big hug before his upcoming adventure. Chase plans to stay with relatives in Norway and maybe play semi pro soccer this summer. I'm wondering if he'll introduce fry bread to the Norwegians.

Speaking of Norwegians, Sarah Aavedal has a Norwegian name, but she's a full-blooded Nez Perce who was adopted at two months by Bob and Linda Aavedal. Had lunch with Linda and Sarah last Friday. On Easter Sunday, she began a new adventure in her fish-oriented career. She accepted a job at Prince William Sound in Alaska where she'll be raising sockeye Salmon.

For the past several years, she's worked for the Nez Perce tribe at its Yellow Pine hatchery and has enjoyed the thrill of seeing baby Salmon head off to the ocean and return all the way to Yellow Pine (east of McCall). Now, she'll experience a whole new dimension of salmon production.

Keeping in touch with former students, such as these individuals, provides me a pretty nice view of the world outside Sandpoint, Idaho. And their adventures ensure that this ol' teacher will never stop learning.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Marianne-
My how you always know the right things to say. You not only made Chad's day a very special one I'm sure, but you sure sent the tears flowing down my face. What a beautiful 28th birthday present. Thank you for always thinking of Chad and keeping in touch with him. I know you mean the world to him.
Love Kathy

Anonymous said...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some internet
marketing research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work :-)

Sincerely,

Tosh
Webmaster/Publisher
compaq computer

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a white gold charm bracelet site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey you really have a great Blog site, related to **Big and Tall**

Anonymous said...

How long have you been at your start a computer consulting business job? Are you good at start a computer consulting business? Could you help other businesses that are just starting out get up to speed? Then you are a qualified consultant! And of course, that's only one way to share your knowledge. "How To Start Your Own Coaching/Consulting Business" is my well researched start a computer consulting business, online webite that you can read and learn at your leisure.
Hope you visit ...

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about senior water ski
. You can check it out at senior water ski
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

Anonymous said...

Nice site! :)

If you get a chance, why not check out my guided fly fishing trip site.

Anonymous said...

Discount Hydro!

Anonymous said...

Free Web Report Reveals How Anyone Can

Become A High-Earning Super Affiliate Fast!

Download Your Copy Now Before It's Gone:

Free Web Report Reveals How Anyone Can

Become A High-Earning Super Affiliate Fast!

Download Your Copy Now Before It's Gone:

cabinet hardware product

Anonymous said...

Dear MLove,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell construction highway illinois state. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
construction highway illinois state. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like construction highway illinois state on interest free credit and you can pay for your construction highway illinois state whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: construction highway illinois state.

Anonymous said...

Dear MLove,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell road repair equipment. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
road repair equipment. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like road repair equipment on interest free credit and you can pay for your road repair equipment whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: road repair equipment.