Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Old Home Day

I enjoyed a fix of familiarity yesterday----something that's becoming an irregularity in Sandpoint these days. Had two things to do in town---vote on the school levy and join my mother and sister-in-law for lunch at Di Luna's.

Voting took me to my former place of work for the first time this school year. As I walked through the doors of Sandpoint High School and focused on the four election clerks, I was ecstatic. Knew 'em all. Mary Neuder, Della Kenworthy, Laura Holbert and Mrs. Reynolds.

This recognition brought on that wonderful warm feeling inside of being among friends. Gave Della a hard time as she looked up my name and address. Della's one of those Sandpoint fixtures whose generous heart has affected endless community projects, mostly behind the scenes. As one who's been on the receiving end of her efforts when our house burned down, I love her dearly.

After voting, I walked into the office where I could turn 360 degrees and spot well-known folks at every desk---two former students, one mother-and-daughter pair. All greeted me with smiles and hello's.

Also saw a few teachers I'd worked with for years and a few young ones I thought should still be students. Even had the opportunity to hear "Hello, Love" as I was reciprocating with "Hello, Darling."

Dave Darling and I have delighted each other with our romantic hallway greetings for years. It had been a while. Of course, the kids who didn't know me from a hole in the ground may have wondered about our behavior, but what the heck!

Speaking of romantic greetings, once seated at Di Luna's, I looked up as three gentlemen walked to a table near us. One kept smiling at me and finally said, "Hi, Marianne." Took me a second but once I zeroed in on a Greg McFarland 45 years older than when I fed him Good and Plenty's in hopes of a seventh-grade romance, I couldn't help but share the crazy story with his two business associates.

When we were 12, Greg took the Good and Plenty's (purchased from the Whatnot Shop on Pine Street) every day but broke my heart when he tapped the girl next to me at one of our junior high dances. He still chuckles about it, and I've promised him a good supply of Good and Plenty's if he comes to the reunion. I assured him he wouldn't need to ask me to dance.

During lunch, several longtime locals came in. My sister-in-law, Mary, had Bill Brown wondering for a moment about that blonde woman greeting him from across the restaurant. Once he recognized her as an SHS Class of 1962 classmate, they had a good time reminiscing their high school days.

Used to be when you walked down the streets of Sandpoint, you knew everyone. These days that's a rarity.

So, March 22, 2005, for this old local, was definitely a "good and plenty day"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such a show-off, Love.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for a fresh breath of home town air! Love, Mike Miller

Anonymous said...

MLove, this post turns out to be exactly what I am looking for, for my site home school books . With your permission, I would like to publish it.

Anonymous said...

Not bad MLove, this post is an entry that I would like to add to my site, home school cirriculums, with your permission please.

Anonymous said...

Not bad MLove, this post is an entry that I would like to add to my site, homeschool, with your permission please.

Anonymous said...

Hey MLove, I read your entry, this post. I would like to use it on my site homeschool with your permission.

Anonymous said...

this post is the perfect article for my web site, homeschool curriculum, MLove . With your permission I would like to link to it. Thank you

Anonymous said...

I would like to link to your entry, this post , MLove . It would be a perfect fit for my website homeschool lesson plans , with your permission.

Anonymous said...

MLove, this post turns out to be exactly what I am looking for, for my site homeschool curriculum . With your permission, I would like to publish it.

Anonymous said...

After reading this post, MLove I believe I could use the content for my site, home school books . If I could have your permission.

Anonymous said...

MLove, this post turns out to be exactly what I am looking for, for my site homeschool . With your permission, I would like to publish it.