Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Rather be fishing?

I don't know what Dan Rather's gonna do after his last broadcast tomorrow night, but I'll wish him well. I'll also watch. A look into Dan's "Reporter's Notebook" has reflected the adult lives of us babyboomers. I'm sure we all feel like it was just yesterday when Dan reached journalistic stardom while reporting the assassination of President Kennedy.

I remember as a junior in high school prior to that awful day when another of my budding journalist friends and I debated over whether Nelson Benton or Dan Rather was the better reporter. It was obvious my appreciation of a nice-looking guy with a Southern accent and big brown eyes kept me in Dan's corner. So, when he took over for Walter Cronkite, I wasn't disappointed.

At the time, I would have given anything to meet Walter Cronkite. He had been a fixture in our house for years. His steadiness and his seemingly ever-curious mind instilled in me a sense of trust. I hoped to see the same with Dan Rather, but I also liked the spark of his "go-get 'em" style.

Either I've changed or Dan Rather's changed, maybe both. I know my old moderate liberalism has waned toward a moderate conservatism, but it seems like Dan has been way out there the past few years and obviously so. I could never really tell with Walter Cronkite. He seemed to exemplify the epitome of fairness in reporting, at least until he retired. Again, maybe my awareness for the subtleties has become more adept.

Dan has disappointed me of late, even in the way he conducts an interview. He has actually looked ridiculous in some of his "60 Minutes" segments when the camera focuses on his odd facial expressions. It's almost as if he's forcing himself to stylize his listening face by tipping his head certain ways or pasting a strange smile on his face.

I always watch CBS News because provides me a devil's advocate view of the way I see things. I do NOT watch Fox News because its reporting seems much too extreme the other way. I think it's important that we form our opinions by exposing ourselves to that which we don't want to hear.

This morning I read that Walter Cronkite says Dan Rather should have hung up the shingle a long time ago. I tend to agree. Had he done so, he may have been remembered as one of the greats of our time. Instead, only history will tell how the events of the past couple of years will affect his legacy as a reporter.

I also agree with Walter Cronkite that the move to put Bob Schieffer in Dan's place is very wise. At this time in my life and as a journalist, I believe Bob Schieffer reigns as one of the great examples of broadcast journalism. I hope CBS erases the word "interim" and makes him a permanent anchor.

Enough babble. And THAT's the way it is--------in my brain anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marianne,
Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, for stating that you don't watch faux news. I can only assume that with your journalism background, their methods appall you. That's how I feel. Sorry that I don't share your feelings regarding Dan Rather. I've always been impressed with hard-hitting, truth-gathering, dig-in-the dirt kind of journalists. They are the watchdogs of our government and an important component of democracy. That's how I see him, and remember him during the Watergate era, and his courage & tenacity then. I tend to think of strict conservatives as overly supportive of government, and criticism is seen as "liberal." So journalists who examine power, or the government, are perceived as liberal also. I love to see intelligent interviews, and insightful questions asked of our elected officials. I hate underhanded dirty tricks, however. Additionally, I hate seeing the media aiding and abetting dirty tricks from other politicians. Maybe we'll never know the true story of the rathergate episode, but I suspect there's more to it than sloppy journalism.
You're right, we need to be careful where we get our info. That's our responsibility. Too easy to listen to the harshness of some radio personalities. I love my XM radio, by the way, and usually have it set on 167 (Air America). It's unapologetically left biased, just so you know.
I will miss a familiar comfortable face, that's just the way I see it.
You're such a deep thinker.