Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Idol crazy

I remember attending a scholarship committee meeting a couple of years ago. We'd almost finished our business of determining that year's recipient when one committee member announced she needed to be leaving soon. She was going home to watch "American Idol."

I kept my mouth shut at the time but wondered what the rest of the committee members were thinking upon hearing this comment in the midst of making an important, possibly life-altering decision for one of Sandpoint's graduating seniors. After all, when your television programs are more important, one has to wonder.

The reason I kept quiet was that I didn't want the other committee members to know there were actually two of us that night, hot to trot out of there and get home to the boob tube. Today, however, I confess. I rarely miss "American Idol."

That year, big Reuben and funky Clay were squaring off every week, wowing the ogling fans with their enchantingly beautiful voices. Another contestant came from Tennessee. Can't remember her name but she continued to be my long-shot favorite to win the competition---mainly because the two guys got a lot of press and she didn't. I always pull for the underdog who has to work a little harder for recognition.

I don't know why "American Idol" has hooked me so. I admit to getting a little tired of Randy's "Whazzup, Man?" Especially to female contestants. When Paula does actually break down and criticize someone, I figure they must sing as bad as I do. Friends and family will tell you that's pretty damn bad. And, Simon, though he always seems to have the most accurate assessment of each performance, his predictable captious comments wear on me sometimes.

This year, I don't have any idea who will win. I think the quality of singers exceeds those they've had in the past. I'm enjoying the uniqueness and outstanding talent of each contestant and would be at a loss to pick a winner.

After three years of watching faithfully, I'm do feel like the show is becoming a bit too redundant with the stupid expressions the contestants are obviously obligated to make into the camera while Ryan Seacrest repeats their respective voting numbers. I also detest his predictable build-up to the next commercial break. Yet, like an idiot I still watch, twice a week.

My son thinks I'm nuts, but at the same time, he seems to know the contestants' names. I'm wondering if he's back there in his bedroom secretly watching but ready, with his remote in hand, to switch to ESPN if I should sneak up on him during the show.

And, it's still very possible that if I had a meeting that ran through an "American Idol" segment, I might still keep counsel but use some other excuse to get out of there early to arrive home and plop on the couch in time to watch.

So, there's my innermost secret divulged----for blog readers' eyes only!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there is a psychological test somewhere based on what your tv watching preferences are. Yours obviously are Little House & American Idol. Mine are C-Span and CNN. Might explain my anxiety and your seemingly lack of it. I've also thought recently that if I were starting to raise children these days, I would opt not to have a tv in the house.

Word Tosser said...

You and my husband... I gave up the first year because I HATED the way they string you along. A 20 minute show stretched out to 60 minutes. But I have my down falls too... Apprentice (don't like Donald tho), Survivor, and Desperate Housewives... also Boston Legal, but they took it off the air until next season. Dang! I loved Dennie Crane,and Canice Bergen's character,(nice to see an old broad do well) lol...