Friday, June 24, 2005

Will miss you, Karen of Kincaid's

We learned some sad news yesterday. After 50 years on First Avenue, Kincaid Jewelers (formerly Art Ruyle Jewelers) is closing its doors. Yet another Sandpoint institution will become a memory by the end of July, and with its passing, one of my favorite people will move on to a new phase of her life.

The closing of Kincaid's marks a significant historical event for the Love family. Its founder Art Ruyle took Bill under his wing back in 1974 shortly after Bill moved here from Louisiana and the two met at Sandpoint's Presbyterian Church. In fact, Art Ruyle and Eddie Nordgaarden (who ran the Shell Service Station on First Avenue at the time) were Bill's first friends in Sandpoint.

That spring, when Bill decided to go purchase a wedding-ring set, we both went to Art's jewelry store to make the selection. Art proudly displayed his wares, and I settled on an antiqued engagement ring with 1/2 carat diamond which fit inside a gold wedding ring.

A week after our June wedding, while drinking my Sunday morning coffee, I suddenly noticed that something was amiss. The diamond had disappeared from the ring! Trying to disguise the powerful jolt that took over my body, I kept my hand hidden from view until Bill left for church.

As soon as the car headed down the road, I raced around our little rented trailer on Lakeshore Drive, frantically searching for the diamond. Fortunate for me, it didn't take too long. As I picked up a towel from the bathroom floor, there it was in all its lonely splendor and still encased in its prongs. The setting had simply fallen out during the night when I had gotten up to use the bathroom.

Totally relieved, I showed Bill when he returned home. When Art saw what had happened the next morning, he said, "I'll set that diamond down a lot deeper into the ring; after all, you're a farm girl and I'm sure you may bump it again." Well, the diamond has stayed put for 31 years. Its prongs have been replaced a few times and the ring has been re-antiqued a time or two.

Art Ruyle eventually died from cancer. At that time, Ray Kincaid bought the business and operated it for a number of years with help from Karen Applegate. Eventually, she purchased the store. I knew Karen as a high school student and came to appreciate her even more as a store owner and respected town leader.

Karen has been so good to us, and like so many things in our family, she has helped us maintain a tradition of loyalty. Almost five years ago, Willie was ready to purchase a wedding set. He went to Karen, and she helped him narrow down the choices.

Then, he asked Annie and me to come in and help him make the final selection. That Christmas he made a special one-day surprise trip to Boise and knelt down before Debbie to ask for her hand and to place the engagement ring on her left finger. I distinctly remember Karen telling Willie, "We'll set up a payment contract. I don't care if you pay me $5 a month; as long as you pay me something, that will be fine."

Over the past several years, Karen has served as my good friend and personal shopper. Any time there's a wedding coming up or a special gift needed for someone, I just call Karen and say, "Okay, this is a wedding; find me something in the ???? range. She picks out what seems appropriate, wraps it and will even deliver it if I wish.

I've greatly admired Karen for her intelligence, professionalism, leadership, community spirit, her warm smile, and her grit at hanging in there over a few tough personal obstacles. We in the Love family will miss seeing her behind the watch counter at Kincaid's. I know she's come across some new, more secure career opportunities, and I wish her well.

Good bye to Kincaid's. Good bye to Karen. You've both been precious gems who've provided that personal hometown touch and another reason why Sandpoint has been such a special place to live.

We're gonna miss that.

3 comments:

Word Tosser said...

Another part of old Sandpoint slipping away. I know they say it is progress, but doesn't mean we have to like it.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this.

KEW

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful thoughts and memories, Marianne. The hardest part of closing this chapter in my life is losing the avenue for seeing and talking to so many people who either were or have become good friends. Karen