Saturday, July 16, 2005

Weekend potpourri

Glad to see the end of another busy week. This one involved completing two stories for a Friday deadline. One about our retiring city clerk Helen Newton appeared in this morning's Spokesman-Review. For those who can't go get a paper, it's at (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho/story.asp?ID=80429)

The other was a Q and A for the Appaloosa Journal with the association's national president. Without going into detail, I must say it was a challenge. But, we made it through that challenge, so the story is safely in the hands of my editor in Moscow.

I still have a column to write. Normally, it would be due today, but I, just this moment, received email reassurance from the River Journal editor Trish that I could submit it in a few days. Now, I'm scratching my head wondering what I'm gonna write about. There are a few ideas perking, though.

Amidst all the writing assignments have been numerous 40th-year class-reunion details. This weekend, I'll be preparing several dozen letters and envelopes for mailing to those who have signed up for the reunion July 29-30. We need to provide participants last-minute information about our planned recreational activities.

Seems the "things to do" never stop. Nor, do the visitors.

We were pleasantly surprised yesterday afternoon when Cherry Urch, a former student who graduated in 1981, drove into the driveway. She's lived in Plano, Tex., for several years, and she was home for her father's funeral. For the locals, her dad was Helen Haugse's brother (of the old Pastime Cafe and Tam o' Shanter fame).

Cherry has always remained loyal to her old friends and teachers. I've enjoyed staying in touch with her over the years, and we really had a nice, relaxing visit in the yard yesterday. Before it ended, Bill had indoctrinated her on the joys of geocaching, so I'm betting there's another convert in the making.

Today I'll probably see Karen Hayden and her daughter. Karen's dad, Dr. Wilbur Hayden, delivered me in 1947. Anyone who's related to someone who did such a favor deserves a friendly hello, right? Since he delivered hundreds of people in this community, I'm sure his daughter receives nice treatment every time she comes for a visit.

By the way, my brother Kevin was Dr. Hayden's first patient when he came to Sandpoint in the mid-1940s. He used to hunt with my dad, and, his first wife Marg was one of my mother's best friends.

Karen is here in Sandpoint attending the '50s decade high school reunion at the fairgrounds. She brought her daughter with her; my mother, who saw her briefly yesterday, says the daughter is beautiful. They live in the Chicago area these days.

Other than that, things are pretty quiet. And, I like that!

No comments: