Monday, August 01, 2005

A box of delectable memories

Life returns to a relatively normal state today as all the concerns and planning in anticipation of the reunion are but a distant memory. Committee members will get together for lunch today at Cafe Trinity to figure out how much money was gleaned from sale of mulligans and Monticola pages for the SHS Alumni Association.

I'm having a very difficult time wiping the smile off my face because my weekend of wonderful memories just won't go away. One year's worth of planning for a gathering that happens every ten has netted one of the greatest weekends of my life. Words do not convey the thrill of seeing friends I knew as children who've traveled the world, managed careers, fought in wars, raised families, welcomed grandkids and have become seasoned adults.

The "kid-in-the-candy store" image came to mind as I fished the Moyie River yesterday afternoon, thinking about how my fellow SHS 1965 grads had entered Swan's Landing door Friday night and made their way through the clumps of waiting classmates.

Like the candy store, there were too many good groups to choose from for this giant talking fest. So, Friday night's event seemed more like the tasting test---check it all out, take a quick sample, and plan how you're going to digest as much as possible through the short time that remained before everyone would say good bye and go their separate ways.

On this Monday morning, the myriad of images is clicking through my mind: breakfast yesterday at the Edgewater with Janis, Lesle, Diana and Dann; Maurine Marks assuring our classmates after a year in China that we do indeed live in the Land of the Free; Bonnie and"Squat Bod" Rick Anthony being told to "stand up" at the reunion. Bonnie guaranteed us that she IS 4 feet, 11 inches tall.

Speaking of standing up, we gave a standing ovation for our visiting faculty at Saturday's dinner at the Elks Club. We brought the house down with enthusiastic applause for our many Vietnam veterans, including our only woman vet, Lorraine Davis Sharp. I won't ever forget the heartfelt quaver in Mike Parkins' voice as he talked about Glen Shropshire and Keith Shipp who made the ultimate sacrifice in Vietnam and then read off the names of 15 deceased classmates.


Once shy Cecelia Kallio did show up at the reunion Friday night to claim her autographed watermelon. She had told me a couple of weeks ago that I'd stolen a watermelon from her camping party years ago. I told her I had a good memory and did remember stealing mail but no watermelon. She insisted, so I just shut up. I did assure her, however, that if she would change her mind and attend the reunion, I'd repay her for the lost fruit. She obliged and admitted that she enjoyed seeing her classmates.

What I'll remember most over the weekend were the continuous smiles and hugs. They were plentiful from the time we eager 58-year-olds entered a realm filled with faces from our past. Each of us, at least partially, satisfied a long-held hunger to reconnect.

And, like the good box of chocolates, we're all wishing for several more helpings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marianne, You are Ab-SO-lutely right on! Whenever I get a box of chocolates I take a little bite out of each one and then gobble my favorites in entirty. I find that when I get to the last remaining chocolates, which I think are my least favorites (and that maybe I really don't like them at all), I discover that they too are pretty darn delicious.
And so it was for me with classmates I never really knew in high school but had a chance to talk to a bit during our reunion weekend. There was not one person there that I did not thoroughly enjoy and I want another box of chocolates right away! We did have a great class!
Thanks for all your efforts to make the reunion so much fun! I am addicted to your writing and this blog and can't wait to read the next story! Hugs, Janis

Anonymous said...

Chocolates are my favorites too...and the variety adds to the pleasure. It was great to see old friends and touch base with classmates that are a part of choice memories.
Thanks to the committee for all their work. Time given for everybody to say a word was much appreciated by me.
I guess in my own selfish world I did not realize how many served in Vietnam. Thanks to them and all those who are willing to do so now. I do hope your leaders are wise in where our troops are sent.....and of course that those for whom they fight are willing to stand beside each trooper...OK enough for now!
I appreciated your story Marianne. Being in Sandpoint for three days has shown me I would push for a by-pass. I could make some comments about the mouse, but will pass for now;-) I look forward to more...keep smiling. Maurine