Friday, August 19, 2005

Gentle on my mind: KUID memories

I received my "Friday Letter" from the University of Idaho in this morning's email. A fellow correspondent put me on the U of I list about a year ago, and I've enjoyed reading weekly news from my alma mater ever since. In this morning's edition, I read that station KUID is celebrating 40 years of being on the air. The item also noted that Gordon Law and Pete Haggart would be on hand for the celebration next month in Moscow.

I worked at KUID throughout my college years, except for my last semester when the Federal government, for some unknown reason, put a temporary halt to the Work-Study program. The hours spent at that building up on the hill across the parking lot from the Administration Building put me through school. I believe at the time and throughout my college years, I earned $1.25 an hour on work-study.

My job at KUID entailed 15 hours per week of copying and sending out reel to reel tapes of U of I agricultural, sports and music programming. Someone would give me the master, and I'd go to the machine in the back room, make 44 copies and address yellow envelopes to radio stations in Idaho counties. Then, I'd slip a tape in each envelope, seal 'em and put them in the bin for mailing.

Gordon Law was the head of the radio-TV department at the time, and Pete Haggart was his lieutenant. We also had Cecil Bondurant, a short man with a crewcut, built like a Bulldog who always had something sweet to say to the women. There was also skinny Mr. Bird who walked around the building in his dark suit and smoked a lot. Tall, thin Larry Ayer, a KRPL announcer and voice of the Vandals, rounded out the team who all taught at the department.

Mr. Bird couldn't hold a candle to Gordon Law in the smoking department. Our boss openly admitted that he puffed on at least 100 cigarettes a day. And, I do not exaggerate when I say that one day I observed him with a cigarette in one hand and a cigar in the other---both lit. Besides his cigarettes, Gordon Law had connections of the political kind.

One of his best friends was Cecil Andrus. From time to time, before his governor years, Cecil would show up at the department, greet everyone and head on in to Dr. Law's office. I'd heard of him by that time as an outspoken senator from Grangeville.

KUID TV and radio station was my second home at the university. Because of my job there, I met my senior roommate, Wanda. Her sister, Betty was secretary for the department at the time, and she knew I needed a roommate with whom to share apartment expenses. She also knew she had a sister with the same needs. So, Wanda and I met for the first time the fall of our senior year as we moved into a tumble-down apartment a block or so away from the Pullman highway.

Besides finding a roommate, KUID provided me with a skill I've used for nearly 40 years----announcing. During my senior year, I decided to take advantage of one of the course offerings---radio announcing---taught by none other than Larry Ayer. I LOVED it. The course required students to have their own radio shows on KUID. We didn't get to do too much besides introduce taped music or play a few records, but I savored every minute of my half-hour weekly gig.

My theme song to open the show was "Gentle on My Mind." Loved that song back in those days, and I still enjoy hearing it from time to time. I've used the skills taught to me by Larry Ayer many a time as a local horse-show announcer and occasional emcee. Having a clear voice with good enunciation also proved invaluable during my teaching years at Sandpoint High School.

Reading that email from the U of I this morning about KUID's upcoming birthday party made me smile as my "gentle" mind wandered off to good times in my youth, spent working, paying my way through college and learning valuable skills that have brought me great enjoyment over the years.

I'm also wondering if Gordon Law still puffs on all those cigarettes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.....very interesting story....one wonders....Didn't Mr. Edgar Love work at a radio station in Alexander, Louisiana? And what about Annie? Didn't she run the radio station at your Alma Mater?

MLove said...

Annie and Willie had a weekly radio show at Boise State University for two years. Must be in the genes or water . . .

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your memories of the time at KUID and the UI. I wish I could picture your face - I will look it up. You got all the personalities just right in your memory. I tell people about those tapes we sent out each week to radio stations and they don't believe me. I used to have to visit the station in Sandpoint to get the tapes back each summer - they would never return the tapes. I did the sports show at that time - something that I was not really cut out to do - but it was fun anyway. Gordon is probably not smoking - as he is still alive and he will be at the reunion in Sept. Thanks for the memories. Peter Haggart - still in Moscow - but retired after 40 years with the UI.