Sunday, August 28, 2005

New pal, Kiwi

We've got a new face here at the Love house. Her name's Kiwi. She's eight weeks old, black and white and as cute as a puppy. Well, she IS a puppy---a registered Border Collie, and she's made it through one night without chewing up anything or leaving any internal presents around our floor.

I've loved Border Collies for some time, but my desire to have one of my own was reinforced during the Bonner County Fair while watching Friday's sheep dog trials. I didn't stay long but after seeing the dogs work and looking around the grandstand at numerous varieties who adore their owners----black and whites, tri-colored and reds and whites---the inner urge just kept nagging.

Later that day, I saw Tracey Albertson Roos with a young pup in hand. I asked her where she had gotten it, how much she paid, etc. She told me the owner, Robin McNall, still had three babies left. That was a big mistake where I was concerned. Knowing that someone at the fair had three puppies there, ready to go, was too much temptation for me.

When I saw Robin Saturday morning, she told me what she had available and invited me to check them out at the beef barn. At that point, I was 99 percent sure I'd be going home from the fair with a little extra bundle. And, when I saw Kiwi, whose name until yesterday was Faye or something similar that rhymed, I was hooked. It didn't take more than a few seconds of persuasion to see that Bill highly approved. He even offered to help me pay.

I went to the car, wrote a check, returned to Robin and her dogs and left five minutes later with a cuddly but nervous pup in my arms. It was obvious from the beginning, Kiwi didn't like leashes, so I carried her around the fairgrounds and wasted no time taking her home to meet Willie, Debbie, Mother and her new animal pals. The humans were more excited to see her than the animals, but I'm sure that will change.

While she snuggled on Debbie's lap, I went to the store, bought her and Annie Dog new beds, picked out one of those expandable leashes and selected some puppy food. Annie Dog didn't think Kiwi needed to relax in the bunk house last night so we kept her in the house. She asked once at midnight to go out and slept the night through with no problems.

She's a smart little whippersnapper, and she seems to have the business of number one and number two figured out. We had one accident each way when she first arrived, but she seems to know that it's better to do that stuff outside.

This should be a great and, at times trying, adventure ahead as we go through the chewing, whimpering and getting-accepted-by-your-animal-peers stages, but I know we've got us a new pal of the cutest kind. When she's six months old, we'll take her out to Randy and Gail Curless's at Dover for sheep-dog school; I don't anticipate adding lambs to the Love menagerie, however. For now, we're just pleased as punch with how well our new little girl has adjusted to her new home in such a short time.

Welcome, Kiwi Love. You're a keeper!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now your readers are going to demand pictures! And a Yorkshire?(like in the movie "Babe")

Also have a question - are you and Bill worried about house in Oakdale with Katrina bearing down as a cat 5 hurricane? I'm interested since we were all about 6 or 7 when Audrey swept through Cameron and Calcasieu Parishes leaving oak trees blown over and bayous rising about twelve feet above their banks....I don't recall if Allen Parish suffered...

MLove said...

I'm sure he's thought about it, but I guess it's more of a wait-and-see situation.

Eventually, I'll be sure to post some photos of Kiwi. For now, just take my word----she's mighty cute.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiwi,
What a smart puppy you are to pick Marianne to be your mom. We don't think you will have too much trouble training her. Tell her to be sure and get you some good chewy bones so that you don't end up in the "dog house" for chewing on the chair legs. We hope to meet you some day & run and play.
Sadie and Skippy