Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Of Dukes and Popes

Unlike a lot of his friends, I've never called Bob Hamilton "Duke." Instead, I've called him "Mentor." I've told the story many times about how Mr. Hamilton opened my door. I'd already dabbled in journalism to a minor extent before walking into Mr. Hamilton's class my junior year of high school.

But I don't count the occasional 4-H club reports for the Sandpoint News Bulletin or my job as seventh grade "snoop" for the junior high Cedar Chips as adequate training ground for an avocation I have passionately loved throughout my life. Instead, these early journalistic responsibilities simply planted a perennial seed that would sprout off and on for decades, each time bearing fruits that would make me love the discipline all the more.

No, Bob Hamilton or "Duke" sealed the deal as far as my journalism future was concerned. Through his own passion for getting the story right, attending to details and always looking for the angles, he instilled in me basics that still rule every story I write---whether it's a brief about a wine-tasting event or a profile on a famous actor.

Don't assume facts. Get 'em right. Ask how to spell names. Hook 'em with your lead. Use credible sources, and include accurate direct quotes where appropriate. Ask specific questions and consider what readers want to know. Listen carefully. Observe. Follow the inverted pyramid format with most important information first, least important toward the end. Attribute sources. Provide balance with perspectives. Use short sentences and paragraphs. Double check all information. Etc. Etc. Never forget the basics.

Bob Hamilton gave me the goods, and over the past 40-plus years, I've used those goods for several publications and hundreds of individual journalistic adventures. Those goods have given me a license to meet and get to know people I'd never connect with otherwise. And, I've learned so much because of the need to know my stuff before writing a story.

I am not alone among the Bob Hamilton admirers. During his 27 years as a journalism adviser, he trained dozens and dozens of aspiring journalists. Not all ended up in the profession but I'd confidently say that all will tell you to this day stories similar to mine about the influence of this wonderful teacher. In fact, there's always talk about how we ought to get him and his long line of Cedar Post editors together and compare notes.

There'd be Billie Jean at Sandpoint Magazine or Laurel at Multilingual Communications. There'd be a judge from Portland named Kirsten. Peggy from the library would show up. Jim Borden, who recently took over as managing editor for the Kalamazoo Gazette, would surely come. Bob's son, the award-winning military photographer who moved on to the Baltimore Sun would want to be there as would Hon who's an editor in the Portland area. There's Sue, the local politician and lover of thought.

The list is long, and I can't think of 'em all, but I do know one that would probably win the prize for traveling the farthest. Her name's Cindy, and she'd have to come from Rome where she's worked for the past 16 years as a Catholic News Service reporter in the Vatican Bureau. She's traveled around the world covering Pope John Paul II, and now she'll be reporting on the new Pope.

We still have some planning to do to get this group together, but Cindy's in town on vacation. So, today "Duke" will join Cindy and me for lunch and we'll talk Popes and journalism. I know he's excited because he hasn't really seen Cindy since she moved to Rome. Lots of catching up to do, and definitely lots of pride will be bubbling from this wonderful mentor who means so much to so many of his students.

While all this happens, you can be sure that I'll be observing their reactions, asking some specific questions and listening for the great lines. I think I do know how to spell their names, but I'll check just to make sure.

Bob Hamilton taught me that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of us who were involved with the Cedar Post owe a great debt of gratitude to Bob Hamilton. Learning to ask questions, think logically, and work with a constant deadline looming - and have a lot of fun at the same time. It was a terrific experience! Marianne, give my best to Mr. Hamilton! Kirsten

Anonymous said...

I hope he knows how much he was appreciated. He was always encouraging and supportive even when the subject matter was touchy, and somehow our group liked that best. He was without a doubt my favorite teacher, and I had many good ones. Like Kirsten, I continue to call him Mr. Hamilton, even though I think he'd prefer Bob at this stage. Thanks for bringing up such a great memory, Marianne, and I hope Mr. Hamilton, and you & Cindy, had an interesting lunch.