Sunday, August 14, 2005

A peach of a marriage

Gary Pietsch had been married for 18 years when he planted the seed for another Love affair. As publisher of the Sandpoint New Bulletin, he assigned me a writing project focusing on the 1973 Boy Scout Jamboree at Farragut State Park. That series of stories not only led to some fascinating information about the Boy Scout organization, but it also netted me a husband named Bill Love.

I have Gary to thank for meeting Bill. If Gary had not put me on that assignment, I doubt our paths would have ever crossed. So, 32 years later at about the same time of my "summer romance" with Bill, I'll be going to Oden Hall this afternoon to join in the festivities honoring Gary and Carol Pietsch's 50th wedding anniversary. After all, I believe I owe it to Gary.

Unfortunately, I'll be attending alone, since Bill, the Boy Scout, is now Bill, the forester for the Idaho State Department of Lands, who's been assigned fire duty in Central Idaho all week. He says he hopes to make it home tonight but doesn't hold a lot of faith.

I've known Gary and Carol Pietsch for more than two thirds of their married life. My first encounter with the Pietsch family was with Gary's dad Laurin who founded the weekly newspaper. I used to take my 4-H club reports to the Sandpoint News Bulletin office on North Second as a pre-teen. During that same era, I also participated in the newspaper's annual subscription drive where Sandpoint's youngsters could go out knocking on doors or making phone calls of solicitation---for new or renewed subscriptions, that is.

The grand prize was usually a trip to Disneyland. Runners-up earned new bicycles and the honorable mentions got money. My take, during the my one year of participation, was 17 beautiful $1 bills, which I carried around in my pocket and frequently flashed to my friends who would surely be impressed with Miss Moneybags. Well, there was a Biblical outcome to my newfound wealth. I lost it all---on a horseback ride at the Delamarters.

Seems the wallet in my left pocket with the $17 and Craig Thompson's picture (my unsuspecting boyfriend at the time) popped out of the pocket during one of the many times Blackie, the Delamarter's mare reared on command. It was a couple of days before I realized what had happened. When I returned to the woods along Sand Creek to look for the wallet, someone had been bulldozing the area where I had ridden. No luck. I never saw that money or Craig Thompson's sixth grade picture again. Maybe Ralph will dig it up when he starts his golf course.

I did earn some more money from the Pietsches a few years later when Gary hired me during the summers to write features and cover schools, business, agriculture, etc. We also put out some special papers, and that's where the Boy Scout Jamboree came in.

At the time, I also taught with Carol at Sandpoint High School and worked with the Pietsch kids, Chris, Jaye, and Wes in 4-H and as a their teacher. Chris and I still laugh about how he started out mopping the darkroom floor at Sandpoint High School as a member of the Monticola yearbook staff. He also gained valuable experience for what would turn out to be his career as a photographer when he photographed Bill and my wedding in 1974. I do believe Gary and Carol attended also.

I have many good memories of times spent with Gary and Carol and their three wonderful children. Recently, I've renewed my friendship with Gary while serving as a board member for the Bonner County Museum. Through that association, I know that he reads my blog faithfully, so today, Gary, you're the star. I wish you and Carol a very special Golden Wedding anniversary. You deserve the best.

And, I'll be out there standing in line to greet you while representing that Love affair you launched back in the '70s. Definitely a good assignment for me. I thank you.

Congratulations on 50 years in your own love affair with Carol. May you enjoy many decades more!

No comments: