Friday, December 30, 2005

A slightdetour resolution

Our grand fir Christmas tree dried out quickly this year. I think a lot of it had to do with all that bitter cold, dry weather earlier this month, which caused the forced-air heat to be running full bore for days on end. No amount of watering seemed to help the tree, so I knew it would never last until the traditional New Year's Day takedown.

Connie came yesterday morning while I was doing the marathon coffee visits and performed the ritual of removing ornaments, garland, and lights. Those materials are all back in their boxes in Willie's closet, and the tree stands to the right of the front porch as if it grew there. I have no doubt that the next strong wind from the north will leave it lying on its side. Come spring, I'll drag it out to the burn pile by the pond.

Yesterday afternoon I took down the extra wreaths, among my collection that failed to sell like hotcakes at the early December craft sale. Several were given away, while several added a woodsy, festive touch to my living room. Now, they're distributed in hanging spots outside around the back porch.

With their red-and-green show, a bit of Christmas remains, along with the picked-over cookies and candies. I actually found a plate of huckleberry bars I'd stuck in the freezer before making up the cookie plates. Forgot they were there, so have been sampling them the past couple of days. Seems like all these sweets at Christmas time make a person wonder how they'll ever get eaten, but they do. We're good for a couple of more days of nibbling at the residue.

With tomorrow's New Year's Eve, the season ends for another year. The next day brings on a host of thoughts centered around the challenge of "What am I gonna do this next year?" I looked back on this blog for Dec. 30, 2004, to see what deep thoughts were on my mind at the time. Apparently, none because the entire last week of December last year seems to be a wipe-out on our newly created blog. I think, upon beginning this daily project, I was allowing vacation time, and I know for sure that I was one sick puppy from Christmas day through New Year's.

Well, in spite of a slow start, Slightdetour turned out to be the big event of 2005 for my creative juices. This blog has evolved from a part-time lark to a full-time passion. The original intent was to provide my brother Jim a forum for showing off his cartoon talent. He's done so magnificently, clear down to today's darned ol' Sox.

Three cheers for Jim and for all the cool cartoon sideshows he's generated because of this blog, which, by the way, is named for his cartoon collection. This past year, he's enjoyed gigs with the National Hang Gliders magazine and their calendar and lots of additional notice on Mr. Huckleberry Hound's blog.

Jim's artistic exposure to a wider audience was the ultimate goal, while I figured I'd lose interest after a couple of weeks and go on with other items that curdled my interests. But no. The blog has become a part of my day. In fact, I now feel unfulfilled if I have not written something every morning before going outside to feed the horses their breakfast. When I first began, there was no black-and-white pup nudging me to hurry up and get out to those Folger's coffee cans she thinks are sheep.

In spite of Kiwi's enthusiasm to get out the door, I remain immersed in this new passion at my computer screen until it's done. And, once we go outside, my thoughts continue to unfold with better ways to say those sentences I've written and revised at least half a dozen times. So, if you read the posting once and see something a bit different the next time, that's why. It remains a work in progress until I finally let it be by mid-morning.

Blogdom will continue for Jim and me in 2006, and I hope readers will stay on board as we entertain our quirky minds with words and pictures that seem to suit the times. Thank you for your continued encouragement and comments. It's nice to know you're out there, even if you "blurk" in the shadows most of the time. We appreciate you.

Who knows what 2006 will bring when this Christmas season has all but locked itself into memory? I do know, however, that blogging is a great way to record Christmas memories, along with those associated with family, friends, unique personal moments or distant world and national events. And, though I never know what will drop into the midst of my morning spotlight here on Great Northern Road, I'm confident this medium will allow me the means to capture and perpetuate it in 2006 and beyond.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the daily good work. This is one reader that thoroughly enjoys your efforts and skills as an astute observer and chronicler of daily life in North Idaho.
Gary

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I am always in the shadows; watching. Part of the job of a poodin. Keep up your great blog; mine mom reads it everyday and she is a "blurker"!

Word Tosser said...

80% of the morning time, it is coffee and Slight Detour... rest of the time is busy and I get my fix later in the day...like today...
Maybe someday we can sit in the lovely downtown and have a cup of coffee together eye to eye...that is if you and I ever slow down long enough... and it isn't tourist season.....lol