Saturday, March 04, 2006

ChEEE-EEEzeburgers have returned


Pardon me while I review my birding adventures of the past week. I know my friend Terry will be proud when he reads this, so, at least, someone will be happy to learn about the current bird status in Sandpoint.


Before getting started and since it has to do with birds, I'll give you the complete title to that catchy country song soon to be released on a CD by Bomshel. It's called "An Absolutely Finger-lickin', Grits 'n Chicken Country Music Love Song," and you can listen to it at the following link: (http://www.wma.com/bomshel/summary/).

And when you listen, remember that the harmony and music back-up, with fiddle, et. al., is provided by our own Kristy O. from Idaho--Sandpoint, that is. So, spread the word to everyone you know to go buy the CD. Kristy's mother told me it should be released by Curb Records in the next week or so.

Sounds like a delicious song, just like the one I heard this morning as I walked out the driveway to get my papers. I have to give my friend Janis credit for igniting the gong in my brain, making it finally realize that singin' bird does truly sound like it's advertising for Burger King with its single high-pitched lyric "ChEEEEEEEZ---burg--er." Have heard it for years, but never put that lyric to it until Janis told me last fall.

Well, the bird has come back to North Idaho for 2006, and it was hiding out there in one of the wetlands bushes, singing praises of being back in God's Country for another spring, summer and fall. That sound has always served as a one of the harbingers that spring is a comin'. I never thought of burgers before, but if the hamburger joints could get Madison Avenue busy, they could come up with the best and cheapest subliminal advertising known to man.

Speaking of harbingers, Mother and I went birding last Sunday. When I called her up and asked her to come along, the following conversation ensued.

"What are we doing?" she asked.
"Birding," I said.
"When did you start doing that?" she shot back with a skeptical tone.
"When I got a story assignment on the topic," I responded.
"What is it?" she asked.
"You go out looking for birds and write about it," I said.
Most of the time my mother can't hear very well, but sometimes she just has an out-and-out listening deficit.
"When did you start doing that?" she repeated.
"When I got the story assignment . . . do you have a bird book?" I inquired.
"Yeah, I keep one right here on the coffee table so I can identify the birds in the feeder," she announced proudly.
"Well, then you're a birder," I said.
"Oh, okay," she said. "When are we going?"

So, we set out with plans to visit Dover Bay and Riley Creek Campground. Mother had never seen any of the Dover Bay development, so I knew we'd definitely score on this tour, even if the birds didn't show.

Well, they didn't. We did not see one bird, not even a coot on the Pend Oreille River, as we slowly toured Ralph's huge new development west of Sandpoint. We even drove up on the Dover Bluff where the really high-end homes will be. I got out, figuring at least an eagle or osprey would be hanging out, in one of the trees just off shore. Nothing.


We figured maybe the birds don't like all this new development stuff any better than people, so we moved on to Laclede. Didn't see a single bird along the way. Mother figured then that they must have a nap time cuz she usually takes her afternoon snooze about the same time. Well, it was just about 2:30 when we realized the Riley Creek search wasn't going to work because the campground gates are shut for the winter, and Mother can't walk too far.

So, we drove through a newer development east of Laclede and were shocked at how many houses have appeared there in the past few years. At least, however, the structures haven't scared all birds away. Our first sighting involved a pair of Canadian honkers who had a huge, soon-to-be-developed field all to themselves. We also saw a crow fly overhead.

I told Mother if we were gonna see birds and lots of 'em, we could drive up the Laclede Road toward the old Bonser place. Bill and I got our wood up there last year, and on every trip, saw turkeys--big herds. So, off we went, several miles up the road. The closest thing to a bird we saw on the trip up was a pair of humans, with shotguns, shooting at clay pigeons.

We were beginning to wonder if the World Health Organization had already issued an ultimatum to all local birds to stay the hell away from humans around here so that North Idahoans wouldn't catch the avian flu. Just then, on our return trip to Laclede, I saw 'em. The turkeys didn't let me down. We counted about 25 sharing one of Gene Glazier's pastures with some cows. Our birding venture was beginning to look up.

On the way back to Sandpoint, we even saw big gaggles of goosies in fields along the river where no goosies had been seen before. And, there were coots who must have been submerged the first time we came by. But, the grand poopah of all birding occurred right in our backyard---in Mother's big hayfield which she sold recently. As we drove along the field, I told her I'd seen a lot of robins a few days before.

Well, this wasn't just a LOT of robins. We figured at least 500 of them were covering that field like a wiggly carpet. Apparently, Harvey did a good job with his planting and harvesting of that big field because the true harbingers of spring showed up en masse, knowing where they could get the full meal deal. They've been hanging around ever since.

Mother's pretty proud to tell people she's gone birding, and I'm thinking she may want to go again. When I told her yesterday that the CHEEEEEZE-bur-gers had returned, I learned that I'm not the only person out there who's listened to that song for an entire lifetime and never once thought of Burger King.

Once ya know the human lyric and then hear that distinctive sound, it's pretty hard to get hamburgers out of your head. Thanks, Janis.

Note: If you're a birder and have suggestions of places to go in the Bonner/Boundary County area, or if you great/funny stories of your personal bird sightings locally, send me an email or leave a comment on today's posting.

Slightdetour readers and I would appreciate the information. I may use some in my story, so time, place, names, seasons, specifics are helpful. I'll contact you if I use any of your information. Thanks. malove@imbris.net

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that's one of the songs of a chickadee, which is up here all winter but doesn't order cheeseburgers until spring...

Mari Meehan said...

Saw my first Kildeer of the season this morning while walking dog. Tried participating in the Cornell University backyard bird count while we lived in Rochester NY but my eyes were so bad I couldn't tell who was who amongst the more nondescripts!

Gettin' old is "for the birds"!

Anonymous said...

After reading this article,I viewed the movie" The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill". ( A must see)I now truly understand the romance of "birding".I am now in the market for a spotting scope but I guess my field glasses will do for now. Birdbrain in wine country