Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Got the Weary Ol' Yeller Dog Barkin' Blues

Ever time a train came honkin' on down those tracks,
My dog barked, yes, my dog barked.
She barked so loud and she barked so long.
My dog barked, yes, my dog barked.
Stuck a big fat pillow over both of my ears,
but my dog, she kept on barkin'.
Yes, she did, Oh, she sure did
And, on this first full day of March,
I got the Weary Ol' Yeller Dog Barkin' Blues

Whenever that ol' train whistle was a blowin' from the north,
She'd just leave that shed and come quickly forth.
My dog barked, yes, my dog barked.
Her name is Annie or Ol' Stink Dog--it don't really matter what ya call her,
When that shrill train whistles a blowin' in the midst of night,
My dog barks, and, oh she barks so loud and she barks so long.
Can't shut her up, unless we shut her in the shed.
And, on this first day of good ol' March
I got the Weary Ol' Yeller Dog Barkin' Blues.

She's a genuINE inspiration, says ol' sleepy-eyed Willie
Cuz our dog barked, yes, our dog barked.
Sure did wanta kill her last night, he just confided to me
Cuz our dog barked, yes, our dog barked.
Don't matter that she's usually locked inside the shed.
Ya just can't let her have a night outside when ya go to bed
Cuz that danged ol' yeller dog's gonna bark and bark and bark.
Don't matter if there's not a damn thing out there in the dark.
Yes, our dog barks, oh, damn, damn, damn, that dumb dog barks
That's why on this real nice, dry morning on the first day of March,
We've got the weary ol' yeller dog barkin' blues.

Now, I think we're gonna do stuff differ'nt when the sun goes down.
We sure don't wanna hafta get a gun and shoot that mut.
So, we'll get back to lockin' her up inside her usual bunkhouse hut.
And, mebbe, just mebbe when those 25 freights come chuggin' in the night
Everthing in the house among the sleepin' folks is gonna be all right,
Cuz we won't hafta toss and turn and cuss no more
while our dog barks, yes, our dog barks.
And, better yet, we won't hafta sing and tell all the world
That we got the Weary Ol' Yeller Dog Barkin' Blues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ka-thump! Poetry! To say/sing it ri'te takes breath away.
Phil