Monday, April 17, 2006

Why I like spring


On this Easter Monday, I can finally write about spring. I like it a lot. Here are my reasons:

The first blue sky of 2006 without a cloud.
Red and gold finches fluttering about in the feeder outside the window.
Red-winged black birds, robins, ducks, geese, grackles and chickadees auditioning for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Promises of future pinks, oranges, purples, exploding from newly-rising buds.
Resurrection is good in many ways.

Grass, rebelliously reviving from winter's sedateness, promising daily stand-ups to the Sears Craftsman.
The first distinct smell of soon-to-be mown lawn.
Green grass, without those damnable dandelions of May.
Daffodils bursting open their yellowness, even on Easter Sunday.
Yellow daffodils enhancing that deep green grass.
Aspen and willow buds ready to blast open their greenery for another year.

Hope for a release of those manure-mud tags when I curry my geldings.
A respite from the daily muck-down when Kiwi comes to the house.
Good bye to ducks, hello to rototiller in the disappearing garden pond.
Joyous good bye to driveway puddles.

Good moods. Good thoughts. Good work ahead.

Good bye, winter!
I won't miss you.

I like spring.
I'm glad it's here.
I've missed it.
I promise to make it feel really welcome this year.

Hallelujah!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm promise to make it feel really welcome this year.


and you are the the grammar police?

MLove said...

Sounds like there's another officer in the ranks.

My apologies, Dott. I'm promise not to make that mistake again.

Anonymous said...

LOL I hope you can laugh out loud and sing and shout! Spring is such a glorious time here in South East Houston...I enjoyed all 24 hours of it...now, it's air conditioner weather for the next 11 months....

Anonymous said...

Marianne, enjoyed Toby Carlson's comments on the Moran edition. Growing up in that neighborhood was like the "Wonder Years." Dad built our home in 1959 (sister Kristi still lives there today), at the same time my uncle (Walt Shear) was building his home a few doors down. I will never forget those years and my many friends including Grandma Moran, family matriarch, whose original stone farmhouse still sits on the corner.

They call us the baby boomer generation for good reason: the babies were booming! In the early 1960’s, Moran Edition consisted of twenty homes with an average 3.5 children, all born between 1952 and 1962. There were so many kids that we held our own annual events: each Easter we would spy on the Lions Club as they hid the elusive golden egg, on the first of May we placed flowers on our neighbor's doorsteps, the highlight of the 4th of July was our own "Moran Edition Independence Parade & Fireworks Show,” August brought the Bonner County Fair right to our doorsteps (back when the fairgrounds resided at Memorial Park), Halloween featured a veritable bounty with an ironic twist courtesy of our two neighborhood dentists-one handing out huge Hershey bars (Jerry Madsen) the other giving each of us a sample toothbrush/paste kit (Dick Neuter), finally, Christmas rolled around with each family vying for the most outrageous light display, cookie exchanges and Marion Ebbett’s famous rum-soaked fruitcakes.

But the memory that haunts me the most is that Dad bought the lot and built our home with $15,000 borrowed from Ole Jennestad. Times they are a changin’...

Anonymous said...

..sad to see Morrison going pro...he's been a very positive role model as a collegian in terms of demonstrating that people with impairments can overcome. I'd hoped that his social consciousness would have held sway against the many millions that he'll probably sign for. His social role will be more difficult in the ranks of the pros...particularly since the NBA seems to be working pretty hard at digging a grave, anyway...

Disappointing but understandable...

MJB