Saturday, May 06, 2006

The great day of May


I can't remember too many first Saturdays of May when I've missed the Kentucky Derby. In fact, a few years ago while announcing the annual 4-H horse judging contest, I found a way to slip out early so I could race home, plop on the couch and enjoy the Derby.


I can't think of any other sporting event that touches my soul quite like this annual race. Most of the time I don't even know much about each year's favorites. There's just something about seeing all that magnificent horse flesh. I always love the stories that emerge about horses, owners, trainers or jockeys.

There's nothing better in my mind than the segment in each year's coverage where the horses leave their paddocks and make their way to the starting gate. On my couch in faraway Idaho, I can feel the drama of the moment; at that moment, I always yearn for the day that I could actually be there to see it firsthand. And, while listening to "My Old Kentucky Home" just before each race, I can never stifle the tears of nostalgia.

Regardless of which horse wins the Derby, the event sets in motion a period of expectation. Will this be the year that we finally see another Triple Crown winner? We must wait until the Preakness two weeks later. During that period I tend to read up on the Derby winner and I hold great hopes that this horse can make it through the second leg.

There's nothing better, then, than waiting for the Belmont Stakes three weeks later. I remember two years ago when my husband made the mistake of arriving home with a dislocated shoulder (from geocaching, no less) at the very moment Smarty Jones had just lost his quest for immortality. It was very difficult for me to tear myself from my horse-racing zone to extend sympathy for Bill who was writhing in agonizing pain.

That's how much I love this annual rite of spring. Today, I don't know much about the favorites. I read that a couple of them are undefeated, but I really don't care who wins. I simply care that another year of high hopes for the first Triple Crown winner in more than 25 years begins.

So, at 2 p.m. today wherever I happen to be, I'll find a TV tuned to NBC, plop down and enjoy yet another Derby where magnificent horse flesh, mankind and rich tradition blend for one of the more spectacular moments of sport.

No comments: