Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Garden parties and the Browns


Annie and I went to a garden party a couple of weeks ago. Well, actually it wasn't a garden party. It was Keokee Creative Group's grand opening their new digs on Church Street in Sandpoint. They're just across from the old Harold's Foods and the new Panhandle State Bank Financial Center, once it gets constructed. They've moved into a house, which has a beautiful back yard. I do a lot of freelance writing for Keokee, and they're going to publish my next book.

I put this picture on today's blog because I was thinking about the SHS alumni site (www.sandpointhigh.com) and how much it's already meant to so many people who've signed up (now 220).

Now that really has no connection, but when I tell you that this photo was snapped by Danielle Huguenin Pati, who's the oldest daughter of Bobbie Brown Huguenin, the connection will unfold. Next, I must mention that I saw Bobbie Brown Huguenin yesterday at the Post Office, and she told me that she'd already reaped a benefit from the alumni site.

Bobbie said she received a nice email from another SHS grad who had spotted her email address on the site. She was pleased to have heard from the graduate and pleased that she'd signed up. I've known Bobbie since I was a toddler, and I've watched all her kids grow up---have even taught most of them: Danielle, Joelle, Nicole, Suzanne, Gabrielle and Jean Pierre aka JP. Hmm. I guess Jean Pierre is the only one I haven't taught. He graduated with Annie, by the way.

It's always fun to visit with Bobbie and always great to catch up with what's happening in her children's lives. I had a chance to do some good visiting with Danielle that day as she made her way around the open house snapping photos of the guests. Her husband Carlo is one of Keokee's talented graphic designers and computer gurus.

During our visit, Danielle and I reminisced for Annie's sake about the time she carried the flowers for the SHS Homecoming queen. She was pretty young then and looked exactly like Tatum O'Neal, who had just won the Oscar for her performance in Paper Moon. Danielle never forgot the big deal I made about the resemblance, nor did she forget the big lollipop I gave her for doing a good job carrying those roses.

It was kind of cool that she took the time to snap a mother-daughter pose of another Brown girl and her daughter. We've enjoyed that Brown connection since the good ol' days in Sandpoint. We may not be related by blood, but we Browns have always enjoyed a mutual admiration society.

So, thanks Danielle, for the gift of your photography. I'll remember your gesture just as long as you remember that lollipop.


Annie Love and Mom Love
at Keokee Open House

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that reading your daily blogs is like coming home. How is it possible that I have doubled in age since leaving Sandpoint, and you haven't aged at all? I LOVE the new SandpointHigh site and have been e-mailing the few contacts I still have from SHS with the info. Good luck with the big move. Hon Walker and I were discussing how you'll be living in our old neck of the woods. (He's the one that directed me to your blog.) Thanks for what you do, it really means so much. Years and miles disappear while I read a day in the life of the LOVELY one. Bye for now, E.D.(88)