Friday, July 21, 2006

THIO Season


I think I'm going to post on this blog several times today because it's the beginning of The Heat Is On (THIO) season. Rather than wasting the cool morning hours these next few days where most temperature predictions indicate 104 temperatures, I'm going to get the barn cleaned, do my morning rounds and work really hard to stay cool.


Staying cool will mean coming back inside this house (which is fairly comfortable if blinds are down) and finding projects to complete inside. I might even sit back and watch a movie or two.

So, stay tuned. I'll be back as events necessitate comment, and for all who are in warm weather situations, STAY COOL during THIO season.


Later . . . .

  • It's after 11, and I've just returned from the old place with another load of assorted items from the bunkhouse---tennis racquets, a cedar chest lid, green and yellow pots bought by Irene Williams for homegrown sunflowers at Willie and Debbie's wedding almost FIVE years ago. Hard to believe. We have transplanted the beautiful little blue spruce they gave us the night of their rehearsal dinner. Maybe it will like the soil out here better than the clay at the old home. Every year around their anniversary time, I take their picture next to the tree, and every year, I'm amazed it hasn't grown. Bill says spruce are like that; they take a while to build up a root system.
  • For once, I went to Yoke's and found four boxes of my favorite Meadow Wood French vanilla ice cream. They've had a shortage the last few times, and I'm guessing it's people like me who cause the shortage by buying four boxes at a time. We're hoping to see the Schwan's driver pull in on Monday, so Bill can get stocked up on all his Schwan's goodies. He always places generous orders and is getting pretty itchy to place his first out here in Selle.
  • Mother and I may drive to Clark Fork this afternoon. Barbara and Laurie have been gone all week for summer school classes, and Bill has gone hiking on Keno Mountain for the day. In fact, just as I type, he is calling me on his cell phone from the top of the mountain. He says he'll have some lunch and take a few pictures. He also says the scene from Keno reminds him of that famous scene in Sound of Music. With everybody off galavanting, we'll follow suit and get inside our air conditioned car to beat the heat, at least for the afternoon.
Later . . . .

No comments: