Sunday, August 27, 2006

Long before the cosmic dust

I don't know when the "cosmic dust" will settle, but I'm hoping that's a long time. That's how long Jeff and Krisianna Bock promise to love each other. They made that promise on the shores of the Pend Oreille River last night just after a Blue Heron flew past. It was their wedding night, and as Judge Debra Heise presided over the ceremony, the notion of "cosmic dust" entered my vocabulary for the first time.

I leaned over to Jenny Meyer, who was seated next to me with her hubby Jeff, and said, "That's a new one." She assured me that the couple had written their vows. The cosmic dust added a nice touch to one of the most laid-back but sorta formal weddings I'd attended. The bride in her beautiful dress was not nervous. The mother of the groom appeared calm and quite satisfied with the perfect weather and the gorgeous setting. Nobody even seemed to really care that the white carpet wasn't going to work after all, so it was folded up and put to the side.

The wedding was rich with plenty of smiles, hugs and clicking cameras, and the feast featuring culinary talents from Hooties, Jalapenos and Roger Hanlon was sumptuous, to say the least. I had to eat quickly, but that angel hair alfredo pasta from Hooties, along with Roger Hanlon's salmon were too good to gulp down, so I enjoyed some conversation with the bride's grandfather who flew bombers during World War II.

The dining moments also allowed time for me to catch up with former student Bryant Jones who'd returned from a year of teaching English in China. His good friend and classmate Tasha Thomas sat next to him as Bryant bragged that she has ascended to the corporate level at Coldwater Creek. As champagne glasses were distributed among the guests for the upcoming toasts, I looked at my watch and said hasty "good bye's" to my table mates.

I was to meet Jenny at the Panida Theater. The bridegroom had given us the assignment of attending the Idaho Panhandle International Film Festival (IPIFF) awards because he'd been told that someone representing the film, "Jenny's Journal" should be there. So, after walking around a few extra circles at Westwood, I finally found my way back to the car, which had been parked at the Idaho Health and Welfare office about half a mile from the wedding.

Jenny and I met, walked into the theater, sat down and waited. Eventually, Trevor Greenfield, the creator of the festival, appeared on stage and introduced a deejay from the new local radio station. She was to announce the 19 awards given for various aspects of the more than 50 films shown over the past three days. The awards were beautifully-sculpted eagles.

When presentations had ended and another deejay Johnny Knight had appeared on stage several times to announce and accept awards for various film makers who were not present, Jenny held one of those eagles with Jeff Bock's name inscribed on the front for best Northwest film. Giving Johnny a break, Jenny accepted the award on stage and told the audience it had been quite a day for Jeff---he'd won a bride and he'd won an IPIFF eagle.

After the awards ceremony, I had to get home and put my horses in the barn, so Jenny headed back to the wedding celebration to present Jeff with his eagle. That eagle was earned from hours and hours of devoted filming, editing, and crafting for Jeff's special gift to Jenny and her family, the documentary film "Jenny's Journal." So, it was a nice day for all of us as we celebrated the great wedding of Jeff and Krisianna and the public acknowledgement of a cinematic job well done.

Indeed, the eagle landed last night, but I'm sure it did so lightly so as not to set off any cosmic dust.

Special note: We were told that award-winning films would be shown at the Panida today from 12-4 and again from 5-9, so if anyone wants to see "Jenny's Journal," it will be among the showings.

No comments: