Thursday, August 17, 2006

Women at work

I just read a feature about Katie Couric and her upcoming role as new anchor for CBS Evening News. Seems we'll probably be reading a lot about Katie Couric in the next few weeks, which breaks one of the cardinal rules of old-style journalism: news gatherers should stay out of the story.

But times have changed, and so has journalism, so every move, every breath and every expression that Katie takes will be documented and thoroughly analyzed as CBS honchos watch the ratings to see if snatching her away from NBC makes all the difference in the eternal ratings race.

I, personally, am not a diehard Katie fan. I have nothing against her, but the America's sweetheart image conflicts too much with my beliefs on what makes a good journalist, but like a good journalist, I'll keep an open mind. I've had preconceived notions shattered several times before.

Now, Katie's not the only woman I've witnessed "at work" lately. I heard this morning from my friend Helen Newton who worked behind the scenes for years as Sandpoint's City Clerk before retiring a year ago. Now, she's working as a Sandpoint City Council member, and since taking that job, she's turned into a Sandpoint lightning rod. People in Sandpoint are talking about Helen a lot these days, but I don't think they're following her hair styles or her every move with quite the tenacity we've seen with Katie. Instead, they're wondering just what gives.

"What's Helen up to?" I've heard friends say as they wonder why she demands that every tee be crossed and every eye dotted. She asks too many questions, some say. She's exactly what we need in there, others have told me.

Since I don't live in the City of Sandpoint any longer, I don't have strong opinions about what Helen's trying to do or what her motives are, but whatever she's up to, I know she's as honest as the day is long and that she doesn't just "wing it" while performing her elected duties. Anyone who cares to dispute what Helen has to say had better do their homework because she's done hers and then some.

Speaking of homework, I've got to talk about another woman with a BIG job ahead. Right now, Becky Kiebert, who's taking over as new principal at Sandpoint High School, is probably down on the Salmon River getting ready for one last rafting trip, guiding a gear boat for K-Bear Adventures, which she and her husband Mason own. Like Helen, Becky does her homework, even when she's recreating.

She called me late yesterday afternoon because I'd sent her some interview questions for a story about her that I'm doing for Sandpoint Magazine. Becky was on the road to the River of No Return, and she knew I had been waiting patiently for her responses.

"I copied off the questions, and if you want to ask me over the phone, I can answer them now, or if you can wait until Monday, I can do it then," she told me. I told her to hold off until Monday because I had other stories I could work on. Then, I wished her a good and safe trip and began to think of how I would squeeze writing her story amongst the dozen things I've got going next week.

This morning, I had two email notes from Becky. She'd stopped at a motel, pulled out her laptop and responded to my questions in great detail and even sent an attachment with basic facts about the new school year at the high school. Becky, who honors commitments, figured by Monday, her life would be so chaotic, there might not be time.

Once more, she demonstrated what she's made of: she's an organized, caring, smart and dynamic young woman who's gonna do just fine as she takes over the challenge as Sandpoint High's first woman principal. She's willing to go the extra mile even while putting in the miles, and that's going to make all the difference for Sandpoint High ratings.

I visited with another woman much like Becky this week. My dear friend Betsy Walker stopped by one afternoon. We sat on our deck and quickly reviewed our lives, our children and Betsy's beloved grandchild Della Rose. We agreed that we're both in Heaven. In Betsy's case, she's a very contented grandmother who gets to spend part of each day during the school year as a much-loved principal. This year, she'll be at Kootenai Elementary School, and she couldn't be happier.

Knowing what I know about Betsy---her experience, her dedication and her total compassion---I think the folks with kids at Kootenai are in for a good year.

So, these well-seasoned, well-organized women are at work---many taking on new challenges. Some will be scrutinized and studied more than others. Only time will tell, in all cases, the outcome for each as they use their organization, intuition and perseverance to make a difference in this world and this community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marianne,

I'm honored to be included with such admired women as Becky & Betsy this morning!

Thank you for your comments about my work on city council. I'm also honored to serve the citizens of Sandpoint and hope to make a difference during my 4 years.

Helen Newton