Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Saturday Slight


Tomorrow marks the end of three months living here on South Center Valley Road. Hard to believe because I'm still pinching myself every time I turn off from Selle Road and marvel at the scene of Taylor's cows grazing in their picturesque pasture. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that, and it won't matter what season it is. The land across the road from us is just drop-dead beautiful.


Anyway, today's Saturday, so it's time to do some slights.

  • I read this morning that Rebecca Nappi is ending her column in the Spokesman. I've enjoyed reading her views and interviews. She says she's going to spend more time behind the scenes, researching and writing editorials. Having known her over the years, I wish her well. She's one of those journalists who grew up with the Spokesman, so I'm sure she'll enjoy the next chapter of her newspaper life.
  • The folks who headed for England finally got there a couple of days later than expected. Mike and Mary spent some unscheduled time in Chicago because of the weather last weekend. They flew out Sunday afternoon instead of Friday evening and they must've gotten there. Mike called Mother from Bath with reports of a beautiful city, gorgeous weather and high prices. He didn't mention seeing Chaucer's famous "wife" though.
  • Since purchasing the cart this week, I've suited up Casey with his harness twice. It takes a while to figure out where all those straps go, so the first day, I noticed a few hanging in funny spots. After looking at more pictures of horses and carts, though, I got a little smarter and Casey was less embarrassed with his ensemble. The main problem I have is Rambo. If we're out of the pen, Rambo runs the fence and threatens to push it over to get to his Casey. If we're in the pen, he insists on running alongside Casey and occasionally letting loose with a big crow-hop or two. Casey tries not to pay attention, as do I, but a 1,200 pound blind horse bucking and kicking in one's space does tend to distract. Eventually, we'll get something figured out, but I do empathize with Rambo because Casey is his guard horse and seeing eye buddy.
  • I'm glad to see Trish Gannon joining the blogging ranks. She's started a new blog associated with The River Journal, and she raises some interesting discussion topics of local and general note. Like anything, it's taking its time catching on, but I'm sure she'll make it work. She just needs a few more waders willing to ford the river with their thoughts. (www.theriverjournal.blogspot.com)
  • I'm turning into a masochist today. After suffering most of the winter with a bum knee, I've decided to punish it today and accompany Bill on a hike to West Fork Lake. Yes, the trip involves geocaches, but at least he's admitted it this time. We've been to West Fork Cabin, near the Canadian border in the Selkirks but never to the lake. He says it's about four miles and promises it might not be quite as steep as some of the other hikes he's taken this summer. I figure on taking along plenty of Advil and concentrating on all things beautiful in hopes of forgetting the pain. I'm also hoping the knee will forgive me and just whine a little after we return. The trip should rival Taylor's pasture as just about anything would in this early fall weather. I'd better get ready to go.

Happy Saturday to all.

No comments: