Sunday, October 29, 2006

Nobody told the animals

To all loyal readers: Pardon the delay. I wrote this very early this morning, but apparently the blogger gods fell asleep on the job. Nobody told them about the time change either.


Pardon me if this is brief today. For some, maybe that's probably a blessing. Whatever the case, I must hurry with this posting. The sun is coming up as I type when yesterday it was dark. My mother has already called this morning---at 6:17. That was her second call of the morning. She also talked to my brother in Missoula earlier. Missoula is an hour ahead of us.


Mother hadn't changed her clocks, so she's been up, she's eaten her breakfast, and she was ready to gab much earlier than usual. I hadn't quite finished reading the Spokesman when the phone rang. I'd made it to the Outdoors Section and had just finished a story about a lady who got flashed by lightning while on a hike this summer.

I'd read that story shortly after learning that the milfoil problem in Lake Pend Oreille will soon go away because some people blessed the lake yesterday afternoon. I still haven't learned if Idaho won its game in Hawaii because things in Hawaii happen three hours later than things happen in Idaho. Compounding the problem is the time change so maybe it was 2 a.m. this morning before the Idaho-Hawaii game ended here in Idaho.

I expected Annie to let me know. After all, she's in Hawaii, and on Friday she told us she's even staying at the same hotel as the Vandal football team. You'd a thunk she would have taken that fancy camera, snapped some pictures of the game and posted them on her blog, thus scooping both the Spokesman and the Bee who have to wait until tomorrow (for the Spokesman) and Tuesday (for the Bee) to let readers know what happened in the game.

Somehow, Annie's slipping on the job. It could be all this time change stuff has played havoc with her schedule. If so, I'll forgive her. I hope she's changed her watch so she'll know what time to get on the plane at 4 o'clock Idaho time so she can get back to Seattle at 10 o'clock Seattle time. I guess that's the same as Idaho time, right?

This time-change stuff does create a lot of problems, and that's precisely why I said this posting was going to be short. This morning I don't have the luxury of typing in the dark while my two horses wait patiently out there in Pasture No. 2 for me to come out and take them to the Ponderosa Pasture for the really good eats.

Casey's been out there pacing the fence and looking toward the house since before I sat down to type. The sun has been shining on the mountains, and he knows it's well past time to get to Ponderosa Land. Nobody told the animals about the time change, just like nobody reminded my mother whether to turn her clock backward or forward.

Now, if I wanted to ensure that she wouldn't be calling me tomorrow at 6:17 a.m. before Blog Posting for the morning gab session, I could have just told her to Spring Forward. But that wouldn't be nice, and I'm always nice to my mother.

Furthermore, it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good with Casey, cuz nobody told those animals to Fall Back.

Gotta go!

2 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Would someone please tell the clock gods we don't really gain an hour of daylight in the summer. The animals know, the bugs know, the trees and grass know, and wise people, like you and me know.

I want to start a petition to abolish DST. I was awake at 4:00 this morning!!

Toni

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Oh, sorry, you and I........