Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The voting season---ugh!

I'll be so glad when the voting season has ended. Let's see when does it begin? Seems like it lasts longer than any other season, and I can say with conviction that it's even more miserable than winter in North Idaho.

We have to endure the voting season inside and out with all those signs littering the roadways, all those ugly letters in the press, the "he's rotten-she's worse" stupid television commercials right before dinner time, and those daily telemarketing calls right at dinner time. It's enough to give you 24-hour indigestion.

Voting season a lot like the hunting season because everyone's out to get something. The prey seems to vary depending on the motives. In first-time candidates' cases, the prey might include validation that "people really do approve of me and what I do." These idealistic people may even really believe that they can make a difference in people's lives and, of course, their own. Privately, there could be even a certain amount of ambition to do well at this office and maybe even move on to something even bigger.

On the other hand, in many seasoned candidates' situations, the prey involves prayers answered. Knowing full well that wannabe politicians are chasing them in attack mode, these people spend a lot of time praying really hard that maybe the voting public will see through all the distortions and flat-out lies that have been launched their direction during the voting season.

It always seems that the worst situations come to light during the voting season. Why don't these things make headlines at other times when people aren't being elected? I'm guessing that maybe----as much as I hate it----we should really have the voting season more often. Maybe we'd clean up a lot more messes and throw out a bunch more bums who are screwing up everything for us and screwing around for personal satisfaction.

If we had the voting season every six months or so, nobody would have time to do really bad things in their office, near their desk, on their computers or even on their telephones. Watchdogs or other candidates would be watching them so closely they damn-well better not screw up, or the offense would be reported on the 24-hour news within 24 seconds.

Since we now have the voting season only every other year, it seems to take much more time for people to discover the real dirt that's going on behind the scenes. Possibly this gives them more time to dig it up and refine it enough to really incense the voters at crucial times. Then, we hear about that dirt for months on end in the form of nasty ads and those invasive telemarketing calls at dinner time.

I've noticed lately that telemarketing air time must be limited as we approach the upcoming election because I received one of those irritating calls in mid-afternoon the other day. The young voice at the other end said he was working for some Robinson Consulting Co. and that he wanted to ask me about some local issues. I asked him where Robinson Consulting Co. was located, and he said Spokane. Then, I asked him who was behind this survey. He said he didn't know. So, I said, "No thanks, I don't want to answer your questions" and hung up.

I have a feeling this kind of stuff will continue to go on for the next few weeks. We'll be poked, prodded, irritated and lectured on what to do about the bums in public office or the bums who covet public office.

Personally, I will be really glad when the bum with the whiny voice who covets that rags-to-riches Sen. Maria Cant-do-well's office in Washington State finally shuts up and we don't have to hear how he owned up to throwing that ball through the neighbor's window anymore. I'm surprised many Washingtonians haven't found his house and done some pitching practice.

Furthermore, I do like and respect our veterans but I'm really tired of watching those two old guys with their veteran hats sitting in that restaurant reading off cue cards and stumbling through their canned lines about what a creep Cathy McMorris is. Has anyone noticed how one guy seems really proud of himself when he finally spits out, "Vote her out!"

In Idaho, we have the guy who's running for governor who promises that Idaho's not for sale. Has he checked with a local realtor lately? Does he really think we're so naive to believe what he says?

I was talking about hunters and prey at the beginning. Well, we voters even turn into the hunters as the voting season rolls on. I've noticed that my friend Steve Brixen has turned into a very voracious hunter. He wants to get 'em all. And, he wants to eradicate every incumbent from office at every level---nothing personal, he says. Steve's not using a gun or even nuclear weapons like that bad hairdo guy from North Korea; instead, he's using his computer keyboard and his writing skills in hopes of wiping out every last office holder's nameplate from every office all the way up the ladder. He figures all of them stay in office too long.

I don't know if I'll follow Steve's suggestion, but I do know I'm on a hunt of my own. I'm in hot pursuit for that last day of voting season when I can drive down the road and admire the trees behind the signage litter. I'm looking for the day when I can turn on my television without having to look at that guy who's strutting across the floor, comparing himself to Sen. Cantwell. I'll relish the peace of not having to answer unwanted telephone calls telling me what to do or asking me what I think.

Finally, I really look forward to the pleasure of reading some more interesting letters-to-the editor that talk about rusted-out fireboats or bypasses, or tunnels----anything but dishonest, perverted, stupid, greedy, opportunistic, inept, evil politicians. I truly welcome my next Lawrence Fury epistle.


Yup, I'll sure be glad when another nauseating voting season ends. How many more days until we get to start hearing about how few shopping days we have 'til Christmas? At least, the Chia Pet and the Clapper don't resort to attack ads.

3 comments:

Word Tosser said...

We have only gotten one poll call. Being I had nothing else to do, I figured I would humor him, so I told him to fire away. He asked me which party did I lean towards. I told him the Cafeteria Party. He said WHAT??? I told him I belong to the Cafeteria Party and that I pick and chose from the idiots that the R & D's put on the menu. He said.."thank you for your time" and hung up. What is with that? Didn't he like my party?
The dinner time phone. We started about 4 months ago, of letting the answering machine answer the phone. Friends and family know we do this and leave a message for me to call back. If there is a high pick to their voices (mother can tell like they did with their kid's cries)we know it is emergency and answer the phone. This has let to many peaceful dinners.

Anonymous said...

we got an answering machine that tells who is calling, only have to get up if we want to answer it.

Anonymous said...

I have disliked this season for more years than I can remember. It is just too pushy. I always exercise my right to vote. . .but sometimes wonder when I'm just voting for the least objectionable.
I gave up television reception over five years ago so don't have to deal with that. The hardest thing for me to remember is that the telephone is for my convenience--not theirs. My character is not such that I can ignore the ring, but I don't have to stay on. . .