Thursday, November 16, 2006

Morning meetings

Two meetings in one day. That's beyond my inner capacity in more ways than one, but I've gotta show up. Every time I go to a meeting I wonder why I ever said "yes" to serving on boards. The folks to whom I said yes know my disdain for sitting through meetings so they just humor me and figure my sense of responsibility will get me to most of the monthly gatherings.

This morning's meetings include the Historical Society board and a production meeting at Keokee about my new book. I figure both are pretty important, so I'll go.

Next year is the Centennial for Bonner County. It seems like a good time to flush out the citizens and encourage them to pay a membership to the Bonner County Historical Society. I've deduced that doing such would make a nice birthday present for the county. So, I've suggested to Ann that we launch a "100 Years: 1,000 New Memberships" campaign. Ann hasn't told me what she thinks yet, but I'll talk about it anyway.

After all, when membership ranges from $15 for singles and $25 for families-----do the math for 1,000 new members, and the museum could do well with the increase in funds. In my view, members don't really need to do anything but join. They get newsletters from the museum and a few other little perks dealing with museum use. More than anything, though, their contribution is fairly painless for them but, matched with a whole bunch of other memberships, it becomes very significant in helping a financially-strapped operation move forward.

The museum gets its money from a yearly allocation from the county, from admission, from donations, grants and from memberships. The facility has many, many needs to keep going. Right now, a cadre of dedicated volunteers assume a lot of jobs normally performed by paid employees at other museums. If I'm correct, our curator/director doesn't even get a full-time salary. If the public knew the hours she puts in for the museum far beyond her job description, they'd be stunned. She does much out of the goodness of her heart and because of her passion for history. Bonner County is very lucky to have her.

So, with that little bit of information, I hope some readers out there will feel inspired to call up the museum at 208-263-2344 and sign up for your single or family membership. And, tell your neighbors to do the same. I'm sure the folks at the other end will happily accommodate you. You don't have to live in Bonner County to be a member either. They're happy to accommodate anyone from anywhere who wants to help out.

Also, I said there are no obligated job assignments for members, but the beauty of joining is that if you do want to volunteer, they're happy to have you. Most people who inhabit the museum on a regular basis see it as a setting for one big happy family who appreciate and address the need to preserve our history in every way possible. In short, it's a fun place to hang out.

Okay, so I got off on a tangent about the museum. It's hard not to do so, but I do encourage and will continue to encourage membership. A healthy membership can do wonders for our museum, and as we move into our second century as a growing county, we need all the help we can get in preserving our history for the next 100 years. So, folks, give the gift of history: join the Bonner County Historical Society. If you do so before the year ends, it can help you with next year's taxes.

Now, to my second meeting. I'll know a lot more about plans for my book publication and its promotion after visiting with Chris, Jackie, Billie and the crew at Keokee. Chris told me last week he's shooting for a Feb. 5, 2007, release, so that means busy times over the next several months. It's hard to believe that it's finally come to this point after so long, but I'm ready for the fun times ahead.

In the meantime, I'd better shut up and get ready to head to town. Have a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Publish on Feb. 5 - that's the day I turn 70! dlh