Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saturday Slight

On the first Saturday of December in 2004 that this blog was born. I remember sitting at my computer that evening doing a lot of trial and error with a thing called Blogger.com. Eventually I got it figured out and Slight Detour was born. That inspiration came after a Thanksgiving visit with my brother Jim who brought home his book of cartoons and wanted to know how he could get some exposure.

I figured a blog was a good place to start, so I set it up for him to display his cartoons. I also figured I'd do a little writing but would probably get bored and quit fairly soon. After all, the blog was for my brother. Well, Monday will be the official second birthday of Slightdetour. Jim has gotten exposure for his cartoons, nowadays in The River Journal. And, I'm still waiting to get bored with blogging.

It's been a good run, and it has turned into a daily discipline. I must blog just as I must don my clothes, get the mail, and feed the animals, etc. I don't know why I enjoy doing this so much, but I'm not going to spend time questioning it. Some of us have the need to express ourselves---and often. This medium serves that need for me. It also helps me hone my skills and practice, practice, practice. And, if others enjoy the results, that's all the better.

So, it's time for the Saturday Slight:

  • Book stuff has been going in full gear this week. Keokee has developed a book mark for promotional purposes. This week we've gone through more than 30 potential subtitles to Lessons with Love. We all finally agreed on one with the idea that it's still not set in stone until it has to go on the cover. Here's the most recent choice--Lessons with Love: Tales of teaching and learning in a small-town high school. Of course, if someone has any brilliant ideas of something better, we'll consider them. The subtitle pretty much goes along with the premise of the book. I taught but also learned, and I don't mind sharing the lessons I learned--often through the school of hard knocks. One subtitle suggestion evoked a chuckle, but we didn't think its double meaning sent exactly the right message: Lessons with Love: Stories from under the influence of high schoolers.
  • The title, of course, goes on the cover, and I'm happy to report this week that Sandpoint High athletic director Cheryl Klein will be doing the artwork for the cover. I've been talking to Cheryl about this possibility for nearly two years. I wanted her work because she's a talented artist and because she was a teaching colleague for whom I've always had great respect. Since the Keokee staff didn't know her work, she did have to audition by bringing in samples. They liked it, so they'll be working with her on an idea for the cover art. The book will have a cover that continues the consistency of the first two. So, expect to see structures.
  • The week has also involved a lot of horse talk, not only Casey's upcoming outpatient surgery to remove tissue from his eye but also the possible new horse from Oklahoma. Right now, I'm investigating long-haul transport possibilities. If that all works out, I'm going to take the plunge and buy the filly. She may arrive by early January. I'm going to give her the barn name "Lily" after my grandmother who died at an early age. And, of course, Bill is going to be my partner in this horse ownership; after all, she was born on his birthday. After Cherise's visit the other day, we realized the problem is in the other eye. In Casey's first surgery, the third eyelid was removed. This eye has a third eyelid, so whatever it is, it's appeared twice. Cherise is wondering if his nasal track might not be good, thus causing build-up, which, has in turn, caused the formation of the tissue. Anyway, she'll snip it out early next week, and she'll send it to WSU for analysis. We're holding strong hopes because the other eye has been fine since its surgery three years ago. So, it's definitely finger crossing time for Casey.
  • I've learned this week that we live in a snowshoeing paradise. Twice, I've strapped on my Red Feathers and taken a trip through the woods, traveling the perimeter of the place. Our woods in winter seem magical with the profound stillness and silence, interrupted only by the trees dropping their loads of powdery snow at unpredictable moments. Watching the dogs leap and bound as they cut new pathways is a treat. Along with their frollicking come stopping points where something lures those noses deep within the snow for an upclose inspection. The aftermath of those powdery white goggles on Kiwi's face after each head plunge is a priceless sight. If only she could look in the mirror and enjoy her new look as much as I do. I also learned this week how Yaks differ from cows. I'd learned earlier that they grunt like pigs, but when we took our first trek through the woods, one self appointed Guard Yak decided to warn us about coming too close to his fence. While all the other Yaks in his herd seemed unconcerned, he raced across his field toward us with eyes intent on Kiwi. Once at the fence, he wheeled around and pranced back across the field with his tail and nose high in the air, just like my Arabians. He continued to put on the prancing show as we moved along our way. I don't know if he was standing guard or just putting on a show for the intruders on the other side of his fence.
Guess that's it for now. On to the Saturday stuff. A good day to all.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

Of the titles... I like the first one best, but both are good.
Also, 2 years ago you started with your brother in mind, but you birthed two other blogs or maybe 3. Mine, A. Love's and the high school one. As didn't the other two see how yours worked so well, and came up with their own?