Friday, February 16, 2007

Marian's excellent trip to The Daily Show

As promised, my freelance correspondent from New York checked in this morning and filed her final report. My friends, Marian and Scott Sawby, braved the East Coast winter storm and made it to The Daily Show last night. They went to the Big Apple to sell their custom knives at a show which opens today. They sent those knives from Sandpoint on Tuesday, figuring to pick them up on their arrival in New York on Wednesday.

Correspondent Sawby, a retired Sandpoint High School speech teacher turned engraver of high-end knives, filed these two reports direct from New York City.

New York~Feb. 15, 2007: We finally arrived after waiting in the Denver airport for eight hours. However, the knives, which should have been here on Wednesday, have not arrived yet. Needless to say, I'm very tense.

The show officially starts tomorrow. We go to The Daily Show in about an hour.

New York~Feb. 16, 2007, less than one hour ago: Although we had tickets, that does not guarantee entry. We were advised to arrive at the location ninety minutes before the doors open. Fortunately, we did and braved extremely cold temperatures standing in line waiting. About 20 minutes before they opened the doors, two representatives hand out numbers to all of us.

Even though we were about 30th in line, the numbers we had were 145 and 146, with the instructions we had received earlier indicating that only 150 people would be allowed entrance. Because I'm a worrier (and our knives were not here yet), I was pretty tense until they actually ushered us inside. They opened the doors a little early because of the cold, and a select number of us were told to wait in a downstairs room until time for the studio doors to open.

We sat in a room with a few chairs and about 50 people for about 45 minutes and then went upstairs to the studio. They are very efficient in the way they seat people, stadium-type seating, one large area facing the stage and two smaller areas of seating on the side of the stage.

They put Scott and me right up front in the middle, probably the best seat in the house, although our view of John Stewart was occasionally blocked by cameras moving about.

Once everyone was seated, a "DJ" played music and we waited some more. After about 20 minutes, a comedian (Paul Murcurio---he said it was not spelled with an "e," so am not sure if this is right) came out to warm up the audience.

He began much like a cheerleader, coaching us to yell and laugh VERY loud. Because I haven't done any real cheering since the kids were in school, my voice was no longer very effective (Scott also), so I just whistled. Have always been able to do the loud wolf whistle which worked very well in this situation.

Because we were in front, the comedian spotted Scott, said he looked like a logger and asked what he did for a living. When we told him 'custom knives,' he was intrigued, and we became the object of banter and much laughter, which was fun. By the time he was done, the audience was ready to hoot and holler.

Right before they were ready to start filming, John Stewart came in and answered a few questions from the audience. Al of those asked were about people I didn't really know. They gave us final instructions, moved all the cameras and overhead cue screens into place, and the show began.

The blue sheets of paper John has in front of him are not just props; he actually has a lot of information on them and referred to them between shoots. There were no do-overs; everything went like clockwork with breaks where the commercials would be.

During those breaks, John went over notes or chatted with staff. The roving reporter was one of my favorites, the Brit John Oliver--very funny guy. The guest interview was with Meredith Vierra, formerly of The View, Millionaire and now the Today Show.

Because the studio is very small, we were able to see everyone up close. The shots of Congress or whatever news accompanies the show were on TVs at the front. The show ended just the way it is on TV with reference to the Colbert Report. Stephen appeared on one of the TV screens.

As soon as the show ended, we left. That is really about all. I can fill you in on more details when I get home. My time (at the computer) is up. Our knives arrived last night. WHEW!! Talk to you soon.

Thank you, Marian, for your dedication to the slightdetour journalistic cause. I may just send you on another junket.

1 comment:

Jayne Sturm said...

The review on Northside School's Extraordinary People Day was both touching and insightful. Students have spent numerous hours learning about someone who has made significant impact on society. As their teacher, it was very gratifying to watch the sixth graders' faces light up with pride as they answered Marianne's interview questions. Such a kind gesture, to attend our elementary school event and share the love of journalism with children.