Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Slight

So much has happened the past two days that I'm going to have to draw deep within my mental hard drive to remember it all. February blahs have definitely given way to spontaneous mini-adventures this President's Weekend. Before the action begins anew today, I'll try to record the highlights. So, welcome to the Sunday Slight:
  • The first robin sighting at the Lovestead occurred at precisely 7:45 this morning as two or three brown-breasted beauties dug for goodies and snacked alongside a flicker in the green grass ring at the bottom of one of the trees south of the house. I opened the sliding glass door, bid them welcome and then went to the sunflower seed sack to add to their morning brunch. Robins seem to love this place, so I'm expecting several dozen appearances before day's end.
  • Bill wrote from the monastery earlier this morning. He reported that a nun told them the Zags pushed yesterday's game against eighth-ranked Memphis into an overtime, but she never came to report the outcome. If ever there were a moral victory, yesterday's one point loss demonstrated heart, teamwork and the sheer determination to rise against the obstacles our beloved Zags have encountered in the past several days. Even with Sean Mallon benched at the end of the game with an ankle injury and laden with fouls, the team clawed its way into the ultimate respectable loss. Through all that they've faced, they have shown to their ever-loyal fans what true winning is all about. It's character, it's grit, it's never giving up. They won yesterday, maybe not in the points column, but in the more important scoring card of life.
  • And, sitting right behind Coach Few just two rows up, watching the Zags firsthand for her very first time was Mrs. Deborah Love, wife of William III and beloved daughter-in-law and sister-in-law to Bill, Marianne and Annie. We saw her tennis shoes several times during the game and finally got a good look at Debbie and her friend toward the end of the game. Apparently, her friend has connections with the Zags inner circle, so Debbie landed the prime seat in the house. She was especially impressed with the white towel show throughout the game whenever Memphis had the ball, saying it looked as if it were snowing in the Arena.
  • She had to scoot to get to the game on time because she had a busy two days also, driving up from Boise to Spokane, meeting up with her friend Trevor, a KHQ cameraman, then going to the airport late Friday night and picking up Annie. In the meantime, I was coming home from a beautiful drive to Libby with my mother, feeding horses, vacuuming and cleaning house and finally collapsing on the couch to doze while waiting for Annie to arrive shortly after midnight with her rental car. Toward the end of Letterman, I came out of my slumber, looked at the clock and figured it wouldn't be long until Annie's arrival. After putting some wood in the stove, I lay back on the couch. A moment later, I heard the door open and close. "She's here," I thought, "and earlier than expected." I yelled, "Hi." A male voice yelled, "Hi" back to me, setting off momentary panic. "Oops, who's there?" I wondered. Then, a bearded man came around the corner with a big smile on his face. I jumped off the couch to say hi to Trevor, and then spotted Debbie and finally Annie. I like surprises, and they did a good job on this one. After taking Trevor on a grand tour of the house and telling him which routes to take to the bathroom from the couch and to be sure to knock cuz the doors don't lock, we all headed to our short night's resting spots. The morning flew by quickly with a visit to the Colburn house, and, of course, we dined at the HOOOOOOOOT Owl. Trevor was impressed with his HOOOOOOOOOOT Owl omelet. We hugged outside; Debbie and Trevor headed for Spokane's Arena, while Annie and I headed for the store to stock up for the invasion of the Plummer gang of five: my niece Laura, her friend Stephanie and the triplets who helped Annie bake ANZAC cookies during the game. Having to concentrate and say lots of "Hail Mary's," I finally retreated to the upstairs bedroom to watch the game. We later went to dinner at Slate's where the triplets' manners were impeccable. A good time was had by all, and a short time on the couch led to a trip to bed for me by 9 p.m.
  • I also heard a scoop yesterday from an unnamed source that the America's Promise Church may be moving its headquarters soon. Word on the street is that they may sell and leave Industrialville for greener pastures and more of their brand of promise. I'll have to check that one out for complete validation. If it's true, that means almost a complete transformation for Great Northern Road inhabitants.
  • I was sorry to miss the Huckleberries Online Blogfest yesterday, celebrating HBO's third anniversary. Heard it was a great gathering, but the Lovestead was rumbling with its own weekend gatherings, so I'm sure my fellow bloggers understand.
Guess that's it for the Sunday Slight. Looks like a busy day ahead, including some couch slouching with Annie as she watches her rental movies. Happy Sunday to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I just read this morning's news about the woman on Clagstone Rd. whose horses and other pets are dead and dying from neglect. Just wondering about your thoughts on this. Isn't there a rescue organization one can call if one can no longer take care of one's horses? It broke my heart. Thanks! -Betsy

Anonymous said...

I hear America's Promise Church is moving to Center Valley Road...

MLove said...

If they do, we can keep up the Love-Hate relationship we maintained so well on Great Northern Road. :)

Calm Center of Tranquility said...

Hey Marianne,
Carol Curtis has the listing for America's Promise church and we advertised it in the last River Journal. So I know for sure they're selling... no clue what they're planning to do after that, though.
Trish