Thursday, March 22, 2007

Of 60-year-olds and stuff

Ann Gehring is a far better Catholic than I'll ever hope to be. Well, at least she shows up for Mass significantly more often than I do. I know this because I rely on her reports to see what's going on down there at St. Joseph's. Yup, Ann's earning the points on the church charts, and she's also turning a lot older than I am. I know this because I've already wished her a happy birthday this morning. She's 60 today, and I'm still 59!

So, I hope everyone who knows Ann calls her up and rubs it in about how ancient she became overnight. It's happening a lot these days. Seems to be an epidemic, but I've managed to evade it so far. Not my friends Janis, Andrea, Robin or Denise, though. And, this week there's a whole crop of Lincolnites getting really old. I think if I have it right Harmon Cantrell gets 60-itis on Sunday, Lesle Oliver on Monday, and good ol' Arthur "Smokey" Chubb on Friday.

I don't know what you do to avoid this, but I'm not going to worry about it. What I do know, however, is that Ann is one of my best friends, and that I won't hold her Catholic superiority or chronological seniority against her. I'm sure at 60 she'll be just as fun, just as nice, just as gullible, just as devoted to family, friends, life in general and even The Church as she's ever been. And, I know she'll continue to age like a fine bottle of Pend Oreille Chardonnay.

At least, I hope she does, cuz she's gotta keep me informed on church matters like she's done for so many years. I remember last year when we dubbed our mutual friend Katharine as St. Katharine because her 60th birthday was so close to the real St. Katharine's designated celebration day. So, this year officially on March 22, 2007, I, a very saintly-impaired Marianne, dub thee Ann of Gehring as St. Ann from this day forth.

So, if you know my friend or even if you don't call 263-6294 and ask for St. Ann. I'm sure she'll come to the phone. Oh, and wish her a happy 60th.

On to other matters. I've got some additional items to announce this morning.

  • Congratulations to Bob Hamilton, Jr., Sandpoint High Class of 1973, who recently learned of his promotion to assistant managing editor of the Baltimore Sun photography department. Like so many in his family, Bob, son of my mentor Bob, snaps good pictures. He's won lots of awards for his photos from all over the world, including "Military Photographer of the Year" and has worked at the Sun since the '80s. Naturally, his dad and all who know him are proud of one more Sandpointer who's making a significant difference in this world.
  • Pamela Stangel Roberts wrote in this week and asked me to mention a sleeping bag drive for the homeless today and tomorrow at the General Store in Spokane from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. both days. If you have extra sleeping bags and are headed to Spokane either day, stop by and drop them off. I know they will be appreciated.
  • Also, I don't often pass along links, but this week I've run into some good ones. First, a former student Theresa Sharpe Radocy (Class of 1982) sent me a link to her photography album. She's a phenomenal photographer, and some of the album includes Sandpoint pictures. Theresa has lived in New York City for a number of years, so there are plenty of shots from the Big Apple too. The album features slide shows, and I found it very enjoyable, so check it out at (http://tradocy.zenfolio.com/
  • Another link has been sent to me twice in the past 24 hours. It's definitely for dog lovers, and it will definitely warm your heart. You can find this wonderful site at (http://www.doyourememberlove.com/musiconly.html).
  • Also, I have to mention to Betsy and Andy, whom I know totally because of this blog, how nice it was to meet you face to face at Yoke’s this past weekend. I’ll try to get that photo the next time a pink layer of light spends some morning moments up there at Schweitzer. Your readership, along with that of all others, makes this morning activity a total pleasure and inspires me to keep on writing. Thank you.

3 comments:

Word Tosser said...

"So, I hope everyone who knows Ann calls her up and rubs it in about how ancient she became overnight.
Oh, my dear friend...Marianne, these words will come to haunt you in 3 more months. You know what they say about pay backs. And is there a St. Marianne? I know there is of the other two. Mine is a saint.. St. Cecilia.. of what I don't know. but it didn't rub off on this name sake.

Kathy said...

Hello Marianne-
It is good that you have two saints in your life now: St. Katharine-the non-catholic and St. Ann-the catholic.Between us we shall keep your perspective on growing old on the UP side, as neither of us chose to let life make us old. I'm guessin' that it won't make you old either. Now our boys- well they are hitting the ripe old age of 30! That's what makes me think I'm getting up there a bit-how about you?
St. Katharine- and proud of it!

Word Tosser said...

St. Katherine...don't you know the rules???? our children get old...not us..