Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday Slight

They promised that the rain will stop by noon, so I'm not complaining. Besides, I have a book to read, coffee to drink at DiLuna's, gossip to be shared, and maybe even a speech about Humbird's influence in this area to attend.

Bill is the featured speaker at the Library's Bonner County Centennial Celebration there this afternoon. I've heard his Humbird speech before, but that was before we lived on the Lovestead, which was in the heart of Humbird's North Idaho logging empire, so I may listen to it with a different perspective.

This weekend does mark the one-year anniversary of when we first set foot on this place with realtor Mark Hall. It was a rainy day just like today, and Jolene had waxed the wooden steps on the staircase. Mark warned us to be careful while ascending and descending the stairs as we checked out the house. That was good. I lived in fear of the prospect of those stairs thereafter because it was clear that waxing wood steps does not present the safest situation for even the most careful of walkers, especially for old codgers like me.

The wax wore off, however, but not the instant love for all things Future Lovestead. I remember being overwhelmed while walking through the yard and listening to Jolene spout off the names to more plants and shrubs than I'd ever remember. As we set off through the woods, she showed me the cement circle where their son had practiced his shot putting drills. We heard that he almost made the Olympic team while attending the University of Idaho. We thought about who in the family might make use of that cement circle. Maybe little Jakie some day when he's Big Jakie.

The woods with its grassy carpet brought back memories of childhood for me and visions of great forestry practices for Bill. As we walked along, I could imagine the thrill of taking daily strolls out through the trees, losing myself from all remnants of civilization and finding a tranquil peace I had not known for years.


When we came out of the woods and spotted the God Tree, so named after we actually moved here, I knew this beautiful place would be home. And, so it has been for nearly nine months. We haven't killed ourselves on the stairs. The first purple crocus appeared in a front-yard flower bed yesterday. Nobody but the cats has found a use for that shot putting circle. Bill has spent nearly every waking hour possible out there in his woods, and I've enjoyed many escapes with dogs frolicking alongside me into that peaceful forest.


We have many signatures on the Lodgepole Log, which documents all visitors to the God Tree, and we're looking forward to many more before our first year here is up. We're hoping sometime when the weather turns nice to just have an open house where anyone who wants to get a taste of Love Heaven can drop by and enjoy the same joy we've had for these past several months.

For now, I'd better get back on task and forge ahead on the plan of the day. Happy Saturday.

No comments: