Friday, April 13, 2007

I haven't seen Miss Lily this clean for several weeks. Annie---be sure to visit her blog to see her lovely tulip photos (www.nnlove.blogspot.com) took the photo in December when the only time her blanket came off was to show her off to visitors. Since March, she hasn't worn her blanket every day, but she has managed to find some good ol' soupy mud holes. It would be safe to say that Lily feels very much at home in her new digs.

It's also safe to assume that I've been having a lot of fun with my spotted filly. I've also continued to put out a lot of money to ensure that she doesn't spend her life simply eating and pooping. Last December, I told Appaloosa Journal editor Diane Rice that something was wrong with this picture when my expenses for one assignment exceeded my income by at least 15 fold. Translated: at the time of purchase and transport, I'd have to write 15 more Journal stories to come out even.

Well, it's gotten worse. Yesterday Lily had her feet trimmed by my longtime horse shoer, John Fuller. That was about $20, so not bad. Two days ago, O.D. Offermann brought me a load of 3/4 minus gravel (about $150) to spread out in the pasture spot where there's going to be a round pen for Lily.

Before going any further, I must digress. I learned this week that some of us other than our mother can't hear. I took Lily to my sisters' arena last Saturday for a refresher in longeing techniques. She was still standing in the trailer when I walked down to where Barbara and Laurie were grooming horses and Mother was watching from her new golf cart.

"Is Lily coming?" I heard.

"Yeah, she's out in the horse trailer," I answered.

Mother looked a little puzzled. Certainly she knew I was bringing my mare, but certainly that's not what she had asked.

"Is Willie coming?" Mother already knew Lily had come but wondered if my son Willie was coming up for Easter.

A few days later, I was talking to Annie on the phone and telling about all that was happening here at the Lovestead this week. John would be coming to work on the horses' feet, and I was getting Lily a round pen. I went on to tell her I'd ordered the round pen, and it would cost $1,300.

Annie was shocked.

"Why does it cost so much?" she asked.

"Well, it's metal panels and it has a gate, and . . . "

"Oh," she said, "I thought you said you getting Willie a round pen, and I couldn't figure out why a writing pen would cost so much."

Back from digression, our family deafness has led to some good dialogue this week, and the round pen, a training corral for horses, has arrived to the tune of $1,300. It's spring and soon the round pen will be up and usable for Lily to learn her walks, trots, canters, reverses, and all other ground disciplines within a confined area.

That will be Lily's lesson plan for 2007. Possibly in the fall, we may put a saddle on her and pray that she doesn't buck with all four feet six feet off the ground like she's been known to do while frolicking in her barnyard with her buddies, Rambo and Casey. And, possibly, I might stay on her and not have to add too much more to the tab with a hefty doctor bill.

So far, calculations indicate that I'll be working for the Appaloosa Journal for a long, long time if I'm ever going come out on top dollarwise with Miss Lily. So far, however, she's provided more than her share of spots of fun for me and everyone else who's come to love her here at the Lovestead.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

That isn't hearing loss... that is selective hearing....
I have had it for years, and my kids will tell you that... because as soon as they would say something they didn't want me to know... I could hear that...
Now as I age, I have used the term..But that has gotten me into some hot water. People want to know why I have selected not to hear them. So now I just tell them, if they speak louder, I can hear.. lol..