Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sunday Slight


Everything's coming out petals at the Lovestead. This morning I took my own sweet time walking to the paperbox so I could properly appreciate the gorgeous row of blossoming Japanese cherry bushes in the north lawn. And, the regular cherry tree is alive with thousands of little white puffball blossoms. Contrast that with the deep green lawn with its yet sleeping dandelions, and it's all pretty easy on the eyes.


I mowed lawn Friday, waiting until late into the day in hopes that the next round of prolific dandelions could be held down until the weekend is over. By Saturday noon, however, the little yellow buggers were popping up all over. Pat Gooby would be proud to know the extent of his influence as the Dandylion god.

Since Saturday Slight was more than slight, it's time for a Sunday version. Here goes:

  • Four members of the Koffee Kult, plus my mother, came for a visit, some coffee and fresh-baked oatmeal cookies yesterday. After strolling the yards and admiring daffodil shows in the flower beds, we all sat around the dining room table for nearly two hours of good talk and ample laughs. Unfortunately, yesterday was a low turnout for Koffee Kult, but I decided at the last minute to invite them, knowing that the sans dandylion window was pretty limited. The Koffee Kult has no attendance policy. In fact, if it did, I'd have been booted out long ago. This group, though several decades in existence, stays together because of its laid-back informality. Folks just show up when they can. Very little is announced in advance except for Alice Coldsnow's annual Christmas brunch, which I've managed to miss the past two years in a row. Otherwise, some Saturdays four people might be sitting at the table; on others, nearly ten. I picked a day when most members must've had other projects going. That did not dampen the enthusiasm, though, and some members said this would have to happen again and that we'd have to plan a picnic down in the God Tree pasture sometime this summer.

  • After Koffee Kulters headed on their way, the next item on yesterday's agenda was to get ready for the Cattlemen and Cow Belle (they really are Cattle Women now, but I prefer the old name for the organization) social gathering at Western Pleasure Guest Ranch in Gold Creek. Bill and I had been billed as the guest speakers for last night's prime rib feast. I decided to talk about cows, which is a good thing at such an event, while Bill chose to give a rendition of his Humbird Lumber Co. talk, with special attention shown to the early Sandpoint mill's influence on the development of many of the farms/ranches owned by the membership. My cow stories were mostly personal---cow chasing, cow bawling next door, cow demise and general cow admiration, but I could not help but lead off with one of my favorite all-time cow stories ever. It was penned by comedian Steve Martin, and I often read it to my classes and anyone else who dropped by my classroom. It comes from the book Cruel Shoes, which is loaded with some of my favorite stories ever. So, it seems appropriate this morning to share this wonderfully insightful story with just one more audience:

Cows in Trouble

by Steve Martin

Cruel Shoes

Press of the Pegacycle Lady, 1977

Putnam, 1979

These were not the average "contented" cows. They were cows born for trouble. They were not cows who could stand by and let people call them "bossy." They were cows who could not hang around all day lowing. They were cows who could be just as happy chewing someone else's cud as their own. They were renegade cows.

My first experience with the renegade cows began one day as I was admiring a particularly attractive cow at Johnson's Weed Farm. As I stood there watching her sultry body moving lithely through the rushes, I noticed several other cows staring at me through the weeds, giving me that look that only a cow can give.

Later that night, I was at home thinking over the day's events. The Rubber Duck Throwing Contest, the parade that followed: bands and floats and baton-tossing girls all marching down the middle of the Missouri River. I should have been analyzing the glare of those cows I'd seen earlier that day.

The doorbell rang. I opened the door, glad to have a visitor, but found myself face to face with three renegade cows. I could not see their eyes behind the dark glasses. They ambled in and I did not try to stop them.

That night they just stood around my bed and watched me sleep, much the same way my potatoes do, and I guess you might say I learned my lesson: Don't fool with renegade cows.

********************


I don't really know how Steve Martin's classic went over with the group. I do know that nobody came up afterward and said, "That sure was a stupid story." Conversely, nobody came up and said,"I loved the renegade cows story." So, I'll just have to move on and keep looking for more audiences who may appreciate such tales.

  • On another note of a more serious nature, we have a School Board Trustee election coming up in a couple of weeks (Tuesday, May 15). Because I believe she's very dedicated and doing an excellent job on the Board, I'd like to direct local voters who are eligible to cast a ballot in this election to (http://www.northidahoelections.com) where Mindy Cameron has responded to a questionnaire about her philosophy and her accomplishments on the Board. Since moving full-time to the area a few years ago, Mindy has given a good portion of her life toward the betterment of education in our school district. Her efforts and influence have been clearly evident, especially through the overall support our teachers and schools are now receiving. I know that she would like to continue her work along the same positive course.

Guess that's enough for the Slight today or I'll have to rename the post. Besides, it's another pretty day out there, and I'm anxious to get out there and enjoy it.

Happy Sunday to all.

No comments: