Friday, May 18, 2007

Good news bees and Moore


Well, I wrote about the return of the bees in yesterday's post. Since then, I've learned more from Mr. Moore, the beekeeper. Chad Moore married Tracy Hicks who was one of my students several years ago. I knew him always as Tracy's husband, the beekeeper until yesterday.


While going to town, I saw him and his assistant Mariah Leen Yetter working at the hives in their beekeepers' apparel and standing in the midst of clouds of honey bees. I stopped and told him that my blog had featured his bees. Apologizing for not ever knowing his name, he happily told me to call him Chad Moore from now on.

Chad is a happy beekeeper. He proudly announced to me that his bees are doing better than they've done in 25 years. He says that his hives have already gone through the problems we're all reading about, and that this year is looking excellent for his beekeeping enterprise.

I told him how happy I was to see the bees back, to which he replied, "Yup, it's officially spring now. The bees are back. I wouldn't put these boxes out until I was sure it was spring." So, for all who worry about bees, knock on wood. That problem we're reading about has come and gone to Chad Moore's Idaho variety, so the plants and animals around wherever he keeps his hives should have a good year ahead.

Now that the bees are here, I'm going to participate today in another "rite" or "right" of spring. Well, actually a couple of activities. First, I'll be joining my dear friend Jenny and her daughter Grace at the Colburn horse farm where Tibbs Arabians will host another Farmin School fifth grade visit. We'll be helping my sister Laurie, who---if the kids are good throughout the year---buses them out to the farm and spends the day talking horses.

She shows how to groom, she talks about breeds, coat colors and basic training. After Laurie's done with the talking, the kids get a chance to actually work a horse with the longe line. Then, they split up into groups and do some grooming. The horses love it. The kids love it, and whoever else shows up loves to see this experiential education on beautiful days in May.

When that's over, Bill and I will attend the Keokee "Lost in the '50s" party to celebrate the release of the 2007 spring edition of Sandpoint Magazine. I hear it's the biggest issue yet. We'll nibble on treats, sip some suds, visit with other contributors and watch the parade of 800 vintage/classic cars roll by Keokee's headquarters on Church Street.

A spring day in May doesn't get any better than this. Right now, I'm hearing the birds singing, when I go outside, I'll hear Chad's bees buzzing, and for the rest of the day, I'll enjoy all the sounds that go with kids and horses and grown-ups and old cars.

Definitely a good news day and a great kickoff for official spring in Sandpoint. Enjoy your Friday.

No comments: