Thursday, June 07, 2007

My friend Howard

Hadn't heard from Howard for quite some time, but the phone rang early this morning. And, that's typical of a Howard call. He was just checking in to see what was happening these days with the Love family, and he was sure to tell me he'd heard from John Fuller, the horse shoer, about my cute new filly. It's always good to hear that the horse shoer is telling people you did well with a horse purchase.

I first met Howard one morning early last spring. I mighta been weed eating at the time, out there at the end of the old driveway. Howard came rolling up with his spit-shined dark grey sedan, rolled down the window, introduced himself and said he was the neighbor up in Nick Nichols' old house. Howard and his wife Pam had moved here from Twin Falls. Pam had been lured this direction by the Panhandle State Bank management, so Howard, who'd worked construction, followed.

His purpose for stopping that morning was to see if I'd be willing to board his Quarter Horse gelding which would be coming up from Twin Falls in the next month or two. Howard said it would be just a short time, that pasture was all his horse needed, and that as soon as his fence was built, he'd keep him at his own place.

I got out of the horse boarding business several years ago after dealing with non-payers or some people who thought they needed to live out in my barn with their horse. For some reason, horse boarding brings on a variety of stressful situations, and I decided the money---when you could get it---just wasn't worth the hassles.

In Howard's case, it looked like a short stint and an easy situation, so I told him we'd be happy to accommodate him. Originally, Howard thought he'd be bringing his horse in April, but for a variety of reasons, it turned out to be June.

And, it turned out that Lewis lived at the former Lovestead for nearly half the summer because counting on a fencer to show up is like counting the money from nonpaying horse boarders. It's often later rather than sooner. As an aside, I've found that out firsthand, having contacted a fencer last August----I'm still waiting.


Anyway, I liked Howard from the get-go. He grew up in Eastern Montana and worked on ranches. He's Montana through and through, and he has an understanding of cowboy life and horses. Howard's very considerate and low key. He's willing to help whenever there's a need, and he's appreciative.

One day after we moved to the new Lovestead, Howard came by to get a quick glimpse of the place and approved. Of course, I must say that means a lot cuz I seen from his own place that he's a perfectionist in just about everything he does. He's pretty modest about his achievements and pretty "Aw Shucks" when you compliment him. Later, he came by again when we weren't home and dropped off one of those huge peach pies from Costco---that was in addition to paying for his horse boarding.

Howard had to have shoulder surgery over the winter, and complications arose, so he's been nursing a slowly healing shoulder ever since. For that reason, he needed to ask someone to work on Lewis' hooves, something Howard normally does on his own. So, he called up one day and asked for my suggestion of a horse shoer. Without blinking an eye, I told him to call John Fuller.

An instant friendship has sprouted between the two. When John came to the Lovestead a few weeks ago, he said he sure did like that Howard. And, what's not to like when a guy checks in every so often, not wanting anything more than to see how you're doing. That's a simple thing, but in my book, it's pretty impressive because it's just plain ol' fashioned manners. Howard's definitely a "Little House on the Prairie" sort of guy, and I'm glad to have him as a friend.

He says he'll be out one of these days to look at that filly, and he's making sure those people up at Bonners Ferry still have that nice second cutting alfalfa this year. I got a ton of it last year because Howard was thinking of me when he picked up his load. He gave me a good price, and it was the best hay I think I've ever seen. So, Howard's looking out for us again on the hay scene.

The world needs more quiet Montana cowboy types like Howard cuz they remind us of the simple things in life that mean so much.

No comments: