Saturday, July 21, 2007

Saturday Slight

It's Bonner County Centennial Celebration weekend at the fairgrounds, so I'll be heading over there soon to do one of two events for the day. The first is a reading and signing at 11 a.m. for my new book Lessons with Love.

I have the lesson plan all ready and am prepared to keep the class busy with historical tidbits and stories for almost an hour. Then, I'll be signing all three of my books for anyone who stops by the Keokee Booth. Amie Wolf, Keokee's and my publicist, will be there too. She's a fine young lady who's working really hard to help promote the book.

Today's Bonner County Centennial event has received some publicity in the local paper, but who knows how many will show up. Yesterday people were putting together their booths for the weekend's activities. I saw a library booth, the Co-Op, the Bonner County Cattle Women and the local Historical Society among the group.

Tonight Bill and I are emceeing the dedication of the Holly Barn. The program will be part of a hamburger, hotdog and ice cream social beginning at 6 p.m. We'll be doing our thing at 7. I'll be reading an overview about what went into the construction of the barn, and Bill will play a few tunes on his harmonica.

The market animal committee, who spearheaded the barn's construction, will hand over the ceremonial key for the facility to a Fair Board member. Then, Frank Moore and his one-man band will provide music for a Country-Western dance. It should be a good time for all who attend, and I'm figuring on seeing a lot of familiar faces who've all had a part in seeing the barn built in memory of Holly Peterson who died five years ago in a vehicle rollover.

The new multi-purpose barn also memorializes Paul Davis, Werner Paulet and Justin Doty who were familiar faces at Bonner County Fair and 4-H events. It will be a bittersweet night with reminders of the sadness associated with each person's passing and the joy of a symbol so permanent to honor their memories.

A big day lies ahead, so I'd better bid adieu and wish everyone a happy weekend. Maybe I'll see you at the Centennial this morning or evening.

No comments: