Monday, August 06, 2007

Look out from Delisle Ridge


I'm sure our friend Corey, the lookout historian, will add a few anecdotes to the comments column about this old lookout above the Clark Fork River east of Clark Fork, Idaho. We visited Delisle Ridge yesterday, not only to enjoy the view but also----surprise!----to find a geocache. Actually after Bill and Kiwi searched the reported location for the cache at a certain point on the structure, I found it in a different spot. It had a red jeep travel bug, for all you geocaching aficionados.

The lookout sits above the beautiful home of our friends Byron and Myra Lewis. I wanted to yell down there at Myra, but I knew she was over in Noxon, Montana, announcing a horse show. The photos show views to the west, to the east and to the north where Scotchman Peak dominates the scene. I have a feeling my friend Florine, who spent some time in a lookout a few years back just across the Montana border, may be able to spot her peak. I'll let her comment on that.

Lots of people have visited Delisle Ridge over the years. I was glad to find that someone showed up during the year of my birth, and another visitor, 30 years ago. I'm sure that lookout has a few good stories to tell.

I brought along a bucket to pick all those huckleberries along the trail. As anyone could note, there were no huckleberries to be found anywhere along the trail. Later, we headed down the wrong road and found a fairly decent patch. We picked enough for a couple of ice cream sundaes. And, Kiwi ate enough without the ice cream.

The day was topped off by a visit to what Bill calls "the Eichardts of Hope," Bear's Icehouse pizza. We not only saw Bear there working in the back but also saw Bird. He's been a teacher in Hope forever. The pizza was mighty good too, as usual. We didn't mind munching it down while sitting on the lower deck enjoying the breath-taking beauty of sundown over Lake Pend Oreille.

Not a bad Sunday.

No comments: