Friday, September 07, 2007

. . . .

When I was about 18 months old, I had pneumonia. In the middle of the night, Mom heard someone coming up the stairs in the house (of course the doors weren't locked) and found Doctor Hayden tiptoeing up to check on me. He didn't want to wake anyone. I have fond memories of him from later years, but that story epitomizes his caring. ~~~Janet

Janet left that comment last night in response to yesterday's posting. I wanted to make sure anyone who knew Dr. Hayden read it. I'm sure there are plenty of stories to match Janet's, who, by the way, is one of my classmates and good friends. I've written before on Slight Detour about her dad, Jack, who was our family veterinarian way back when. Which brings to mind that today is the day our family veterinarian of the near and present is going to have her second child at Bonner General.

Dr. Cherise Neu, daughter of Larry and Colleen, fits in the same category as the Docs Hayden and Eakin---the committed and caring folks who, of their own accord, come to the house, even long after everyone's gone to bed, to see that their patient is doing okay. Cherise has done that several times for my sisters when they've had a horse under the weather.

"No need for you to get up," she'll tell us. "I'll just drive in, go to the barn and check on them." That's why we love Cherise. She's an old-fashioned professional in modern times. I'll keep forever the two-page letter she wrote to me, by hand, the night of my birthday after she had to euthanize our Casey. Such caring is indescribable with words, and we feel so fortunate to have her as the medical guardian angel for our pets.

Cherise tells us that she and her hubby Erin Singleton are gonna have a little girl to go with that handsome young son of theirs. Soon she'll be taking that little girl with her occasionally on her veterinary rounds. Her mom Colleen will be along to see that the little gal is doing okay while dogs, cats, horses, etc. get Cherise's tender loving expert care.

The dots go on . . . .

At my library reading last night, I enjoyed my front-row stars---Bob Greene, Madeline Converse and Joyce Boeck. The topic was history, and I issued a pop quiz on some locals my students wrote about for the Beautiful Bonner history book. I figured these folks would score 100 percent, considering their own history here in Bonner County, but they had to settle for 50 percent instead. They guessed me and Zelma and Bob Brisboy, but failed badly on Emma Nordgaarden and Elmer Jacobson.

Of course, I figured the hint of all those kids would give Emma away for sure, but then Joyce Boeck told me there used to be lots of families that had all those kids. And, when I mentioned all the logging stuff about Elmer Jacobson, I realized that he was one of many who worked in the woods, so the answer was not nearly as apparent to the longtime folks as it appeared to be with me. Just shows how times have changed.

After the reading, a couple came in to have their book signed. The tall man looked really familiar---as if I should know him from somewhere. When he said his name, I knew the reason, even though I've probably seen this person one other time in my whole life. He introduced himself as Ross Hall. Yup, the family resemblance was definitely a giveway. Seems Ross Hall, Jr. has moved back to Sandpoint for good after being away for many decades, and seeings he knew my neighbor Pat Gooby and told me our lontime family friend, Sally Crockett, was the first girl he ever kissed, I told him and his wife they could join the Connect the Dots Club.

So, the dots go on with familiar faces and good works . . . . Happy Friday!

No comments: