Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Byway is coming, the Byway is coming . . . .

It was Chicken Little, wasn't it, who claimed the sky was falling-----and it never has. I'm still wondering how the chicken is going to get to the other side-----of Sandpoint, that is. That's age-old, well, maybe the reason that little clucker wanted on the other side is the real point, but, still, it's been a debatable question for a long time----just like the Byway.

Why is it that I'm not jumping for joy this morning after learning that the Army Corps of Engineers gave a preliminary okay to the Byway along Sand Creek. Could it be that I've lived in Sandpoint for all my life and have heard about Bypass (politically correct now) Byway talk pert'near most of that life?

We natives tend to be skeptics. It is good news in my mind, but I'll be the first to jump for joy when I can perform that ceremonial jump on a piece of cement that makes up the long-contested byway. I promise!

And, it will be for two reasons. One, because I'm happy and the other literally for Joy, my late friend. She always proposed organizing the All-Bonner County Rock Fight, which would call together all those people who don't agree on anything, line 'em up on one of those bridges crossing Lake Pend Oreille, give 'em rocks and let 'em go at it.


With all due respect for Joy, I'd like to see the All-Bonner County Rock Fight become a moot point in Sandpoint. Wouldn't it be nice if we could finally agree that fighting over a piece of necessary progress so that we and all the other swarms of people we've invited here could get along a little better is just not worth it----and move on---through town with ease.

I never liked all the industrial expansion that gradually stole away all our beautiful farm fields and our rural way of life over there west of the airport, but I was also realistic enough to know that it was inevitable. I view the Byway the same way. If we could put all the energy that's been devoted to fighting about the Byway over the five or so decades into more productive issues, think of what we could do to enhance our lives here.

I hope this happens, and I truly hope the Byway news is not like Chicken Little's long-fabled pronouncement. Besides, I don't think the Byway through Sandpoint will be nearly as scary as the sky falling. And, when it does happen, there will be a lot of little chickens and dogs and people mighty glad that they can finally get to the other side on a beastly hot July day without wanting to kill someone.

In other news, Mr. Lefty Horse came home to the Lovestead last night. The adjustment for Mr. Lefty, who left his friend Dusty, and for Miss Lily Horse, who's not sure Lefty is the answer to her loneliness, has been a little tentative.

Nonetheless, both horses are still in one piece this morning, and so is the barn. Bill nailed up extra boards between the stalls last night. Now, Lefty's in the barnyard eating his Equine Junior and Lily's in her pasture just a few feet away, where they can see each other and get used to the idea of co-habitation.


I'll give away crooked-necked squash to the first ten or so people who come to see Lefty and Lily today-----and there might be a tomato or two also. Make yourself at home and be sure to sign the Lodgepole Log if you decide to come.

Happy Saturday and Happy Byway to You, Happy Byway to You, Happy Byway, Happy Byway, Happy Byway to you!

And, please pray that nevermore will we have WAR over the byway!

No comments: