Friday, November 30, 2007

Of Wilson's Wood and Boots' Beans

My dad always loved to send folks off with his one liners. Two of his favorites were "Don't take any wooden nickels" and "Don't stick any beans up your nose." In fact, the latter was one of the last things he ever heard in that Sacred Heart hospital room when his grandson took up the baton, offering him that nugget of advice.

Well, taking a chapter from Harold, I'd like to alter his wisdom for one day. DO take those wooden nickels----and yo-yo's and pencils----from Gene Wilson during tomorrow's Christmas arts and crafts fair at the Bonner County Fairgrounds (beginning at 10 a.m.). I really don't know if Gene has any wooden nickels, but I do know from his sister-in-law Dr. Cherise Neu that he'll be happy to sell his wood crafts.

Gene is completely blind. He's a husband and dad. His wife is Kim Neu, daughter of Larry and Colleen, brother to Chris and Cherise----and granddaughter to Schweitzer Sam Wormington. After living in Nevada, Gene and Kim moved up to this area a while back, hoping to make their home here. He has started his wood crafting business, in hopes of guaranteeing a good life for his family in North Idaho.

Cherise told me that Gene and Kim will be easy to spot at tomorrow's craft show; they'll be the table with the guide dogs. Once you find your way there, they'll be happy to tell you about Gene's crafts.

Now, I also said something about beans and noses. Well, it's okay if you DO stick beans up your nose tomorrow. Maybe I'll bring my camera along to document the sight.

The best place to find those nose beans is Community Hall Saturday from 1-3 p.m., when my friend Bootsie aka Boots Reynolds unveils his long-awaited coffee table book to the public. While you're listening to lies from Boots, you can be dining on recipes from his
Boots and Beans, cuz they're gonna be available there at the center.

Now, because I'm so decent and civilized, I'm not gonna say anything about tootin' down there at the hall because that's downright disgusting. Besides, there should be a crowd to drown out the noise. Get my drift?

Anyway, Boots has been working on this bean project for a long, long time, and I'm thrilled for him----especially after seeing the book at the Yoke's parking lot this week. It's a beautiful book, to say the least. Boots and Beans has been published by Keokee Books right here in Sandpoint, Idaho. Check (www.keokeebooks.com) for more information.

Tomorrow ought to be a fun day for Christmas shopping in Sandpoint, and I'm hoping a lot of you out there will include that wood and those beans on your list of stocking stuffers for this year. See ya there.

Just don't try to pay for anything with wooden nickels, and if you do stick beans up your nose at Community Hall, alert me first so I can take a picture and post it on the blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marianne,
Thank you again for your support and kind words about my husband, Gene Wilson. We did better than we expected at the craft fair on Saturday. God Bless you and your family. In Him, Kim Wilson