Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More and more and more . . . .



People here in Snow Country have no excuse to not have their "at home" Christmas photo for 2008.


Greetings to you from the Lovestead


The news from Lake Snow Begone today is that it's still gonna be a while before it's gone. It's dumping again this morning with a 60 percent chance for the day. Right now, that looks more like 160 percent.

Shane spent most of the day on Mother's roof yesterday, and I don't think he's quite finished. He has two other buildings to do. Shane is a very nice roof shoveler. He moved here from Michigan three years ago and set up his decorative concrete business. He says it's hard to get that concrete to set up during winters like this, and since he's in business for himself, he hasn't had any concrete jobs since November. So, if you're looking for a nice young man to shovel your roof, we'll finish up with him first. You can find his number on (www.sandpointonline.com) in the classifieds. Tell him you read it on the blog.

Jenny at (www.mangymooseacres.blogspot.com) wrote a couple of days ago about equipment breakdowns, due to snow, just within her family. I was telling Bill and suggesting that the equipment in the Inland Empire would sure like to see this snow end too. He told me about his friend T.J. Johnson whose snowblower blew up a week ago. Tom had a heckuva time finding another snowblower to purchase. The domino effect continues.

I'm wondering how many million snow pictures have been taken in the past several weeks. I'm wondering how many hours the fix-it folks have been working and how much money has been spent on purchases of snow removal equipment and repair. I wonder how many sore arms there are after the past few days of "knowing that roof had better be shoveled off." I'm wondering if there could be such a thing as helicopter snow removal.

I'm wondering just how deep it's gonna get. Julie from sunny Orlando wrote in yesterday and was glad to see that I had addressed the Winter of '68-'69 comparison. She lived in the Selle Valley at the time; her folks ran a dairy, I believe. So, she has vivid memories, and she was smart enough to move to Florida!

The rest of us poor saps weren't that smart, so we just have to shovel it and tell about it as it gets piled higher and deeper. I must note that the big difference between this year's winter and that one 40 years ago (are ya feelin' old, Julie?) is the lack of wind. Now if we had a good wind whoopin' up through the area with all this snow, we could outdo that year hands down.

Well, I've been blowing off enough steam about this snow---can you imagine what would happen if we did have steamy temps all the sudden? I don't even want to think about it.

Must get to work so I can have something to talk about tomorrow.

Snow fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Global Warming! Is that carbon-ladened airborne effluent that I see emanating from your roof?

MJB
:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marianne, I have Carpal SHOVEL Syndrome....heh heh...get it get it? Love, Betsy

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm feeling my age, definitely! But at least it isn't from sore muscles from shoveling snow.... It does look so delightful in your pictures, though! Julie

Anonymous said...

Well, it's 5 p.m., and Snowqualmie Pass has been closed since 7:30 this morning--heavy snow and avalanche fears. The Great Winter of '08 continues! One consolation: it's so durned pretty, as your photos so eloquently attest.

Mary