Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Spinning the yarns

Unlike the polished politicians, I'm not going to put any spin on how I felt while watching New Hampshire primary returns last night. It was personal, but I shed no tears. Just turned the channel and later got involved in completing my seed catalog order.

My opinions run strong and deep, like a lot of other folks of differing political persuasions, so I was very disappointed with the results. There are the Hillary proponents, and they had a good night. So, I'm happy for my friends who probably left their televisions tuned to those primaries so they could listen to those speeches and feel invigorated this morning.

Speaking of television channels, we're sure hurting for options these days with the ongoing writers' strike, unless, of course, we're really riveted with 1,000 takes on what makes Brittany tick. Even Dr. Phil smelled a sure ratings boost for his show and jumped right into the fray with the most recent ugly details of Brittany's latest bad, bad mommy behavior. I heard that he later decided not to feature his counseling sessions with her on his show. Maybe a wise choice for the television cure-all guy.

Anyway, it's sad to go through the winter here in North Idaho having to watch so many reruns, and it's not a good sign that the writers' strike is going to end soon when we see that the Golden Globes Awards show has been relegated to an hour-long news conference and that there's even talk of no Oscars program this year. Oh well, on a brighter note, American Idol is coming soon.

Speaking of sad stuff, the headline in both papers today about Coldwater Creek laying off 51 local employees yesterday certainly doesn't paint a rosy picture for Sandpoint's economy in the middle of the winter. One article said the head honchos figure they'll save six million dollars this year from the layoffs. There's another way to look at that "good news" perspective, however. Sandpoint's economy is gonna miss out on six million dollars.

No spin here whatsoever this morning. It wasn't a good news day in my mind. I guess it's all in the perspective, so I hope the folks who liked their news enjoy the day. In the meantime, I've got a seed order to send to Burpees so I'll get at it and keep thinking of another day when I can once more let the dirt on the Lovestead substitute for the dirt on the airwaves.

Special note: In yesterday's posting, I spun a wrong yarn on the date for C.J. Box's Sandpoint signing and changed it later in the day. His event is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 17 at 2 p.m. at Vanderford's.

Also, if you live in the Moscow/Lewiston area, I'll be doing signings at Book People (11 a.m.-1 p.m.) and Hastings (3-6 p.m.), respectively, Saturday, Feb. 9. Hope to see you there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm not doing the math correctly but how can laying off 65 employees save $6,000,000???

Word Tosser said...

after downsizing to an antenna and now the writer's strike on our 1 and half channels we are doing well... with NETFLIX..movies..
Also we have played some card games and just chatted with each other.. Really been great...

And the Coldwater Creek... not only is the lost of their wages, but the rip in the tide as it hits store owners and others where they spend their money.

NILove said...

For whoever commented about the six million dollar savings, all I know is what I read in the newspaper, and who knows how much that has been spun (by the company) for public consumption.