Friday, February 08, 2008

Anywhere? Anyone?


I read in the paper this morning that television personality and political pundit Ben Stein has bought a Seasons at Sandpoint condo. So, that means lots more Ben Stein sightings in Sandpoint. Thinking about Ben Stein makes me think about what's on my mind today. Ben was nice enough to endorse the back cover of my book, and he even said something nice.


And, thinking of Ben endorsing the back of my book correlates directly with the big thoughts of the day. Will I or will I not be able to go to my two book signings in Moscow (BookPeople 11 a.m~1 p.m.) and in Lewiston (Hastings 3 ~ 5 p.m.) tomorrow?

I actually allowed myself to get excited about the prospects of getting out of town yesterday when the sun started shining and its warmth sent thoughts (ever so silent, of course) of spring and much desired change.

I could feel myself getting into a better mood while snow shoeing up and down the lane with armloads of wood and a new spring to my step---but still yelling at dogs to get out of the way. (Has anyone ever figured out why dogs, with 20 acres for roaming--even on top of snow--have to be right under one's feet?)

After finishing all chores, I happily scurried around to find my book boxes and load them into the car. I was stoked. I even decided that for tomorrow only I could cast off my flannel-lined jeans and go for a new pair I bought last November for the trip to St. Anthony.

In November, those jeans were slightly snug. Yesterday, when I pulled them off the dresser top, where they've been sitting since November and tried them on, my optimistic mood intensified. Slightly loose. A cinch to zip.


All that shoveling has done some good! I've lost a bit of blubber over the winter, and, as another growing local cliche states, "I'm probably in the best shape of my life." That's the word on the street around here. People have not had to go to the gym; they just go outside and pick up the shovel.

Later, I went to town to get ingredients for the Appaloosa cookies. In my ploy to creatively market Lessons with Love to a few good horse people down Moscow way, I promised that anyone who came in to the book signing, bought a book and identified themselves as an employee of the Appaloosa Horse Club would get a spotted cookie. They know my cookies down there at the Journal office. I might even consider giving a few to the non-horse gentiles too.

If I get there, that is!

In the Palouse area where spring is usually far, far ahead of us, main highways have been closed and may remain closed because of ruthless winds and huge, ever-growing snow drifts. I learned yesterday that the road from Moscow to Lewiston was closed. People in the Palouse are suffering as much or more than we-----which is, indeed, hard to believe.

So, I'll have to check with the bookstore people today. Weather can change quickly and high temperatures can melt a lot of that snow. So, I'm keeping my hopes up cuz I sure do want to get out of town, if only for a day. If the book signing gig doesn't work out tomorrow, I'm entertaining the idea of fulfilling one of my lifelong, quirky dreams.

These notions fit in the category of going on a cross country big truck excursion or hopping a freight. Also, years ago---when it was still there---I thought about finding away to steal the boat off the marina roof. The boat is gone, and the marina is now the Old Power House. I used to drive from the Long Bridge, into town, look at that boat and think of how much fun it would be to sneak it down from its perch and see how long it took someone to notice.

Well, another of my crazy dreams has been to leave home one morning, drive to Spokane International Airport, board a flight to somewhere like Dallas or Phoenix or Palm Springs, etc. have lunch, and fly home-----all in one day. I don't know what one accomplishes by doing this except to say it's like scaling the mountain---you do it because . . . .

At this time of the year, to be anywhere else where you can walk without falling through snow clear to your waist, to be where you can go outside without fourteen layers of clothes and footgear, to be where you can see green grass, to be where you can soak in the sun's rays and to be where you can actually see a flower or two---it is the dream of all who endure here and definitely a fortifying elixir which, if experienced, could help one tough it out till those flowers, that sun and that green grass emerges for another season.

So, I'm hoping to go to Moscow and Lewiston tomorrow, and if that does not work, I must borrow from Ben Stein's question and seek alternative suggestions: Lunch, anywhere? Anyone?

Other news: Annie is going to see Barack Obama today at Key Arena in Seattle.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm game, call me. rmt

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love all your thoughts.........and comments.

Actually, I'd just like to see you at Hastings in LEWISTON.

We'll see; we'll see.
Francie TAtko

Kendra said...

Ben Stein is my hero!
Seriously I adore that droll, wise-ass sort of humor and dry intelligence. I would love to somehow meet the guy, without coming off like a giddy, drooling groupie, that is. Considering that's the reason he probably moved up here to begin with, was to get away from all those fawning twits down in L.A.
Ah well, I s'pose I'll just admire him from afar (although not too far, now that I know he's just right up the road!).
On a different note, I never got the chance to tell you this, but I like your writing, Marianne. And I look forward to all those gardening tips come spring!

NILove said...

Kendra,

You've got your own cheering crowd who are pulling for you. I've read your story with great interest and hope.

Also, it's quit okay to be a fawning twit. What would celebrities do without them!
Marianne