Thursday, February 21, 2008

ChEEE-EEEzeburgers have returned


I found the headline above already used among my past postings so I looked to see the date it had appeared. It was March 4, 2006, and we lived in town----not out in the deep snow country.

Bill came in this morning from his walk across the snow and announced that he'd heard the cheeseburger birds for the first time. I was happy to tell him that I had heard them calling out to each other yesterday morning while walking out to get the paper. So, this year's first official observation of the little chickadees sending their love calls at the Lovestead will be recorded as Feb. 19, 2008.

I find that fascinating, considering all that snow which still remains atop the ground with its general consistency of cement. Two weeks earlier than usual for the cheeseburger birds----I'd say that's a good sign that spring is trying to get here.

We've been walking on top of the hard snow for the past week. It's been great fun for dogs and humans to set out across a field with a little higher, cleaner, safer perspective that the alternative of icy pathways, mud and the feeling of claustrophobia as we try to peer over high snow banks from deep ground-level passageways. The other day I even took a lawn chair from the barn and sat in the middle of one of our pastures soaking up the intense February sun.

We've been blessed with beautiful day-long visits from the sun this week, and its presence has created better moods all around. So, to my dear friend, Andrea in Bend, thanks for your thoughtful card. I'm happy to tell you that I've had no need to resort to that tequila! Let's just wait until you show up in Sandpoint and go enjoy a margarita over some good visiting.

Speaking of good visiting, JoAnne from California, it was great to meet you yesterday when we dropped in to your Colburn home unannounced on our way to Bonners Ferry. I always love putting faces to the readers who occasionally comment on the blog. We visited briefly with JoAnne when my mother, our two Border Collies and I took a quick spin up north in the outpatient SUV to enjoy sunny scenery and to do a little shopping at the Boundary Trading Co. store.

While Mother did therapy exercises with her two limp fingers, Miss Kea spent her time in the back seat chewing her leash into two pieces. I kept chastising Kiwi for growling at her little sister who's recovering from surgery, but now, in retrospect, I think Kiwi was probably telling Kea to quit destroying her pretty pink leash.

Kea wasn't complying because when I went to take the two canine ladies for a walk around the parking lot while Mother shopped, I had to use makeshift leashes on both. That's when I remembered that Kea had removed Kiwi's collar a couple of weeks ago from too much tugging while running. In spite of the band aide approach, the dogs enjoyed their Bonners Ferry parking lot walk.

In other early spring news, I've got lots of little green things sticking up in my planting pots. The pansies are taking a while in the kitchen garden window so I'm going to move them to the living room where it's a little warmer. While looking over the plants this morning, I posed the possibility to Bill of rigging up a green house with the dog kennel.

He may regret uttering his magic solution.

"Why don't you go down to that place in Kootenai that rents movies and sells nursery items (All Seasons Nursery) and see how much those little greenhouses are?" Bill suggested.

He didn't have to defend his suggestion one bit.

"Okay," I said. "I will."

"You don't need it this weekend, do you?" he then asked, to which I said I could wait a little while. For some reason, Bill doesn't think it's too practical to haul one home just yet. BUT as soon as it is deemed possible, I'm taking him up on the suggestion.

So, greenhouse possibilities and chEEE-EEEZeburger love calls have this ol' gal pretty excited today. It's pretty safe to say, "Spring is in the air." Now, when the much-awaited season hits the ground, we'll be off and running for another wonderful year at the Lovestead.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

JoAnne said...

It was really fun meeting you, too, Marianne! I got a big dose of that infamous humor as Marianne knocked on my door and then asked directions to the Tibb's place! I was stumbling over my answer because in my mind bells were going off - "Hey, she looks kinda familiar!" The light bulb went on when she continued, "And those Tibbs people, are they nice folks..." By then I was giggling to myself, "She gotcha, JoAnne!"

How funny you should mention the chickadees! I saw the first one out my bathroom window yesterday and whooped to my husband that spring couldn't be far away! I don't even know N. Idaho, but I know a little about birds! Can't be too soon for me as my patience is wearing thin!

I hadn't thought about taking the dogs out on the snow in the field, but that's a good idea. I know they're tired of looking at nothing but snow walls up the lane! They're really at a disadvantage with those short legs!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and maybe when the snow goes away you can show me some good places to hike?

Cheers! JoAnne

NILove said...

Sounds like a plan, JoAnne. The hiking, that is.

Unknown said...

Mrs. Love

Reading your blog brought back so many memories of your class (one of the few things I miss about high school)! I even recall a story about cheeseburger birds being told! Hope you are well!!

Ashley Scott

MLove said...

Ashley,

Where are you now, and what are you doing? Still hoping to be a doctor?
Thanks for commenting; good to hear from you.
Marianne/Mrs. Love