Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Has Hillary seen her shadow?

I'm wondering how long this Democratic shoot-out is going to last. I'm also wondering if Hillary saw her shadow sometime, somewhere---meaning we have six more weeks or more of the "silly season," as my candidate Sen. Barack Obama and a few others call it.

I'm wishing the race for the Democratic nominee would end sooner rather than later. Also, in what surely could be termed a "delusional" state, I wish that when the candidates are determined, this year's Presidential race could turn into an elevated event in which we're all proud to participate instead of more of the same "Gotcha" politics we've endured for decades.


Could we, as Americans, handle sensible, issue-related debate, or have we stooped so low that the personal attack nasties we've witnessed so far have become an essential ingredient to the political decision-making process of choosing our national leader?

I've watched many of the many debates this year, and, for the most part, I've been impressed with the dignity and civil tone they've kept as the candidates for both parties have been grilled to the core. We've been able to learn a lot about the people seeking higher office.

The debates have been both entertaining and informative as we've had ample opportunities to watch body language, the all-important thinking on one's feet or seat, and grace or lack thereof under pressure.


Who would have guessed that Mike Huckabee would become a household word? And, heck, I've never heard of Ron Paul until he started showing up at the debates, definitely adding some snippets of specifics to the conversations that most smooth politicians would dare not touch. I always enjoyed listening to Sen. Chris Dodd and Gov. Bill Richardson and wondered why neither could attract more voters to their candidacies. Both seem like sensible men.

Sen. John McCain defied all predictions when he rose again from the assumed MIA status of Republican hopefuls and thumped 'em left and right to take the nomination. I kinda think he had some stoolies in the race (like Rudy) gathering up the forces, knowing all the time, that at the crucial moment, they'd turn those Republican foot soldiers over to their friend, the Vietnam War hero.

I was surprised that Gov. Mitt Romney did not do better in the Republican race, and I have to hand it to him that he spared us from dipping even more millions out of the American till to elect our President by funding much of his own campaign. He entered the race with grace and dignity, he fought a good fight, and he stepped aside with even more grace and dignity.

So, that brings me back to where I started. How long will this Democratic shoot-out, which grows nastier by the minute, continue to keep us riveted to "Who's gonna fling what next?" I guess it's entertaining, but in my naive mind, some of the behavior we've all witnessed lately does not seem very statespersonlike.

I've made my feelings known in past blog postings, so I guess today's no time to change that tune. I believe it would be a both dignified and appreciated public gesture if Sen. Hillary Clinton were to continue with the magnanimous tone in which she completed last Tuesday night's debate by graciously stepping aside as a candidate for President in 2008, throwing her support to Sen. Obama and sincerely wishing him well.

For her to do so now would end the silly season of outlandish acrimony and desperate measures that have dominated the Democratic race these past few days. For her not to do so and to continue in the vein we've seen of late will only diminish her respect and credibility among the people who have faithfully followed her pursuit of the Presidency.

To continue on with the shotgun approach of spraying the end of the campaign with every tone and gimmick imaginable appears as nothing more than desperation at this point. I can imagine how weary the American electorate could be at this point in this long campaign if we had to witness this same behavior on both sides for months.

It would be nice if the mudslinging could end with both parties enthusiastically rallying around their candidates, mutually agreeing to take a six-month break until Labor Day, and then engage in the great debate to elect America's next leader. I'm sure the candidates could use a breather, and certainly we, the voters, wouldn't mind a vacation either. Plus, it might cost a lot less money.

I know that's all a dream and that I am delusional, but I believe three months of intensive campaigning in the fall at a time when we know specifically what the current issues will be could be much more productive than nine long months of regurgitation.

So, those are my thoughts this morning. Has Hillary seen her shadow? Will we be subjected to the full-meal deal in this down-and-dirty political Democratic warfare? Or, will she make a courageous decision that will not only enhance her image among her followers but could also inspire at least an ounce of respect toward her among delusionals like me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll just have to mildly disagree with you. I really haven't seen mud in this campaign. I've seen 2 strong candidates, each trying to show why he or she would be the better president. On CNN's news show, Reliable Sources, they discuss how the media treats different issues. One of them showed Charlie Gibson making the claim that Hillary was taking the gloves off, and hitting Barak with all she had....something like that. Then they showed the clip to prove that. All the journalists agreed that the lead-in was not accurate. She hadn't done that, just used more forceful language to show their differences. I'm not ready for her to concede. She was the stronger candidate going in, in my opinion, and I still have hope that she can pull it off. I'd love to vote for Barak in 8 years.
Sue