Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dog day morning

Gotta load Kea up in a few minutes and take her to Cherise's. She'll go over to Pend Oreille Vet Hospital at Newport for spaying. Cherise, her vet, will bring her home tonight. Nice to have service like that, but it's only cuz Cherise is working over there today and it's just as easy for her to take Kea as it is for me.

Kea knows something's different this morning because she hasn't had any breakfast. I've been getting lots of extra hugs today. Anyway, for today----hopefully the whole day, I'll be switching from people doctors to the animal doctor.

More later. . .

~~~~~~~~
Later: Well, Kea and Cherise are on their way to Newport. I had to call Cherise while going down Jacobson Road to deliver Kea because a moose was taking up the roadway. The snow banks are high on each side and the snow is deep on the other side of the banks, so the moose are using the roads and railroad tracks (not a good choice as evidenced by the number killed each year).

I told Cherise that I was staying safely behind this big critter because I've heard my share of stories dealing with their belligerent behavior of late. Patsy Sletager tells the story of the one that attacked their black lab right in their yard. The dog needed 50 stitches to fix the wound. I've heard from several people the story of Tom Albertson who had to slug one to get it out of his way. I want to hear that one directly from Tom.

Anyway, knowing of these and other situations, I gave that moose its space. Cherise said she'd come and meet me wherever I happened to be. In the meantime, the moose turned around and went back to Colburn-Culver where some dipstick with a van refused to slow down and kept a steady speed behind the poor thing as it raced down the road. Finally, it found a long driveway and turned in there.

I don't know why people can't use a little common sense and some humanity toward these creatures who don't want to be hanging out on the roads or driveways any more than we want them getting in our way. We all (wildlife and people) suffer during times like this, and it would be good to lower the threshold of idiot human behavior just a tad.

Well, the sun is out, the sky is blue, and Mother doesn't have to go to the hospital for I-V's today. So, we're hoping she gets some rest and that her life turns back to as normal as it can possibly be. Yesterday, during therapy, the doctor and the therapist brought up the possibility that some tendons may have been destroyed by the infection. Mother can't control two of her fingers, so she is to do her therapy and there will be some more observing in the next couple of days.

I've got a barn to clean and tax stuff to cipher so I'd better get at it. Have a great day.


No comments: