Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Hillary horse radish and Obama big boys

I filled out my seed order the night Hillary defeated Obama in New Hampshire. When I heard the results that night I turned off the television, grabbed my Burpee catalog and filled out the order blank. It put me in a better mood.

So, my goal today---Super Tuesday---is to plant some of those seeds which arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago. In February, I usually start with peppers and tomatoes, so please take note that I'm planning a political garden this year. I promise also that it will be equal opportunity: Hillary horse radish, Obama big boy tomatoes, Huckabee water melons aka Huck melons, McCain bell peppers, Romney beets, Paul spinach, and Giuliani oregano.

After all, this garden could save me from going nutso every time something in the Presidential race riles me up. Actually, I don't know how Super Tuesday's gonna go, but I do have a feeling I won't be turning off the TV very early tonight. After all, the big stakes (get it, tomatoes?) races won't be complete until well into the evening.

I do have a challenge ahead, though, before partaking in the first phase of my political gardening. My planting pots are inside that caved-in storage shed. I started shoveling a path toward the opening last night, and with luck, today maybe I can find a way to crawl inside and retrieve a few of those pots, which were---before the cave-in---neatly stacked on a table at the end opposite the door. Our boat is holding up that section, so it's possible that if I can manage to get inside, those pots may still be intact.

With this plan in mind, I've alerted Bill and will alert the public: if I'm not to be found later in the day, check the storage shed! Who knows what kind of avalanche could occur once I'm inside! I'm figuring breathing would be okay for a while, and I could sit in the boat while waiting for people to come and rescue me, dreaming of summer days soaking up the sun and catching princess pike minnows on Lake Pend Oreille. Update: At 11 a.m. I'm happy to report that I burrowed into the storage shed and now have more than half a dozen pots---with potting soil, and I'm still alive. Let the planting begin!

If all goes well, and I have pots, I'll start the planting process today. Don't worry, if the storage shed proves to be a no-no, I'll go to Co-Op and buy some new pots. And if all does not go well on the television set, at least I'll have something to make me happy, knowing that those seeds are finally having a chance to sprout.

Once those seeds start doing their thing, I'll take a few pots over to my mother's house, and her therapy for the long, hard winter of 2008 will begin. Then, she'll have her squirrels, her birds and her seeds to bring daily excitement to her life. She had to go a couple of days without the squirrels when all the snow blocked her windows, but now they're back waiting each day for their peanuts.

This gardening thing is good for the soul and for sanity, especially on days like today when they're promising 3-5 more inches of that damn snow. I wasn't going to talk about that today, but I just looked out the window, and if I'm going to find my way into that storage shed, I'd better get to shoveling.

Have a super duper Tuesday. If all goes well, come September I'll invite you over and show off my Obama big boys. Who knows? I might even let you sample one of my Huckmelons.

No comments: