Thursday, March 27, 2008

Iz it Groundhog Day?


Am I in a time capsule floating around in the sea of snow? Am I dreaming, or am I having a nightmare? If I pinch myself really, really hard, will I wake up from a winter's slumber and smile because ALL THAT SNOW OUT THERE is just a bad, bad dream, or could it possibly be that I need laser surgery and maybe it's all just a mirage?


Has Groundhog Day Syndrome developed into a real disease? Does Chevy Chase have anything to do with this?

Could it be that each new morning really is NOT bringing a brand new dump of snow and that on each new morning our plans for two weeks from now when they say we'll hit the 50s (like they've been promising for the past month) will be put on hold for at least another week or two as the new six inches which fell overnight and the new six inches they predict will fall overnight on this upcoming night will surely take a while to disappear so that we can get back chipping away at the three-four feet of petrified snow beneath those two new layers.

Was that song "One Step Forward and Two Steps Back" inspired in North Idaho?

Don't they say sometimes that truth is stranger than fiction? Could it be that the fiction writers have taken over our lives and that we are living their stories? Iz Hillary still dodging sniper fire in Bosnia? Maybe she needs to come to North Idaho where she can dodge snowballs at Bob Murray's airstrip.

No, that's not snow out there because you're sleeping, Marianne, and you hate the interminable winter so badly that you dream about it at night as you sleep.

And, those dreams seem so real. When will I wake up and smell the roses?

Call me when that happens!

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep on slumbering and dreaming---until the Cougs game this afternoon, that is. Go COUGS, and, boys, do enjoy the Carolina sun, cuz you're coming back to SNOW.

Okay, I'll shut up and go back to sleep.

7 comments:

live love laugh hope said...

Funny, because I was wondering if it was Groundhog's day when I got up this morning, and wondered what it is that I need to figure out to get right before this snow decides to end!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should watch the video at this link and take heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM&feature=related

If you can't click on it directly, just copy it and paste it into your browser URL address window. It'll do your heart well.

JoAnne said...

OHMYGOSH! I woke up this morning, looked out the window and promptly burst into tears! OK, so I'm a California girl! And hubby's in CA doing the taxes!

But, I sucked it up, went out to greet my neighbor plowing the drive on his quad and said, "Show me how to run this danged snow blower!" So, today I learned that I can run a snow blower, that I can even change the stupid pin that breaks every two minutes, and that Marianne feels the same way I do!

All in all, not bad for a California grandma!

NILove said...

I'd watch your video if the damn phone company would ever decide we could have high-speed Internet. As it is, I get a 2-second clip every 60 seconds, so I guess that'll keep me busy today.

Let's see if it's a 4 minutes and 32 second video, I'm guessing it will take me about 2 hours and 16 minutes to listen to the whole thing. Will winter be over by then? Or will part of Alaska drop off into the ocean?

Anonymous said...

Marianne, I just received a disturbing email about the Sandpoint Farmer's Market possibly not getting its lease this year...have you heard anything about it? Apparently there is a meeting at City Hall April 9 at 5:30. That would just be insane! -Betsy PS I used my snowblower by myself today and I am also proud!! And there is a pin you can get at the Co-op that is a bit more expensive but doesn't break as much, and easy to put on. I'll ask Andy when he gets home if you want more info about it.

NILove said...

Betsy,

I just spoke with one of my "deep throated" sources and can assure you there is NO PROBLEMO with the Farmers' Market.

The Farmers' Market will again thrive in downtown Sandpoint this spring. In fact, the only obstacle to the Farmers' Market is that there IS no spring in 2008.

Be that the case, the Farmers' Market will again thrive during the summer of 2008. Should we have no summer . . . .well, you know the drill! Get the shovel!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are so darned funny Marianne!!! Thanks, I feel better now. Except for the missing Spring. -Betsy