Thursday, June 05, 2008

About the comments

I've been posting on this blog for nearly four years now. Along the way, I've encountered a few wackos who have posted inappropriate comments. In fact, at one time the comments were so inappropriate and off-topic that I used the blog mechanism to block the culprit. Eventually, that stopped, so I opened up the blog to universal comments, including anonymous postings.

As a career journalist, author, teacher and blogger, I know that I open myself to pot shots. I know that when I express controversial opinions in my blog, people may react with diametrically opposed views to my own. If not prepared for that, I have no business expressing my opinions publicly.

Though thin-skinned (as most writers are deep down), I believe all are entitled to their opinion, and that theirs is not necessarily going to agree with mine. I know that when I put an argumentative issue out there to expect disagreement, sometimes emotional, sometimes sarcastic. If that is the topic of the day, however, any view is appropriate. I will, however, delete comments that have nothing to do with the topic.

One point for readers to remember is that my views are never anonymous. My name always appears with what comes flowing from my brain. I'd also like to share that often what comes out on the blog masks reality. In that, I mean that the blog discipline every morning sometimes takes me away from heavy thoughts or issues that tend to weight me down.

One of the basic gimmicks of humor is to lighten misery. When you're miserable, it's not fun, so you've got to find an escape. My method has often come through my quirky humor and my passion for written expression. In fact, some of the funniest stuff I've ever written has grown right out of moments of hardship, embarrassment or misery.

For personal reasons, I'll simply say that this past few weeks have been stressful, very sad, frustrating, and, at times, downright maddening. In the full picture, those times have included some very happy and satisfying moments. Seems like that's how life goes.

When I wrote my posting yesterday, I had a lot on my mind, a lot that was not appropriate to share on the World Wide Web. So, in my characteristic way, I took a light approach to a situation that had added one more challenge to what has been a challenging few weeks. When you're sick and trying to do your best to help others, it's pretty disheartening.

I did not write the posting for sympathy. Instead, it helped me find an outlet to my frustrations. If I wanted sympathy, I would have asked. Nonetheless, I do very much appreciate the nice notes a few friends wrote to brighten my day.

I did not, however, appreciate "Anonymous 8:36." This person took me to task and oh so bravely. When you can hide behind anonymity, I guess you can say anything. That's the beauty and the ugliness of the World Wide Web. I do understand and appreciate that many reasons exist for anonymity.

I read this as a comment and could only think of this individual as mean-spirited, insensitive and unfair and cowardly. With no knowledge of the entire situation and relying only on assumption, this individual certainly taught me a lesson. The lesson had nothing to do with what to do when you're sick.

I know those precautions, and I dare say that when most people are ill and have no means of relief, they go to the doctor and often walk through the grocery store past people to the pharmacy.

The lesson I learned was more about this individual, who seems to know so much about my situation but forgets that I have dealt with a stomach disorder for thirty years, which attacks from time to time. This person probably doesn't know that there was a possibility my affliction could have also been food poisoning. My sister, who was with me for four days, has had no similar symptoms. Still, there's a possibility it may have been a flu bug.

As far as going to my elderly mother's house to help her with an errand, I'm not even going to touch that subject other than to say, you hardly know the whole story!

Finally, I refuse to take credit for contributing to the Global Flu.

Life is tough enough. We all get frustrated, but I've found throughout my life that making every attempt possible to focus on the bright side goes much further and tends to be much more satisfying and therapeutic than recklessly and unfairly tearing down others. I also have great respect for those who have the decency to identify themselves and disagree with me openly.

As far as Anonymous 8:36, please note that there's an option called "Sitemeter" on this blog. Click on it. You will see that it identifies everything but your name when you post. So, if I'm correct, and you are someone local, have the courage to call me up. My number's in the book. I might be able to share with you a few gaps not mentioned in yesterday's attempt to feel better with "Da Crud."

No comments: