Monday, June 02, 2008

Horse Show, et.al.


I'm home. I'm outside with my friends, and I'm getting a vacation from having to climb into the trailer and go to those silly horse shows. This time I went to Auburn, Washington, to do my thing at the Regional Sport Horse Show.

It was the best of times and the worst of times for me and my mom, Laurie. It took me a while to get used all the stuff that was going on at the Donida Farms. Heck, there are birds flying all over the place, and trucks going here and there and other horses jumping and bucking around in their pens or on the jumping course.

There's a lot to look at, and Laurie got a little upset with me for spending more time gawking than doing my job. That happened the first few times we went into the dressage ring, where I'm supposed to pay close attention to what I'm doing. Well, she made me work hard and she walked me all over the place on Saturday so I could get used to all the activity around me.

I saved the best for last for Laurie. We were headed for home in the trailer coming over the Cascades before she knew that I had done my very best in that last class late yesterday afternoon. I earned the highest score ever for any of Laurie's horses and for me. She now has another Regional Top Five plaque and fancy ribbon coming in the mail.

I guess I redeemed myself from the first day of competition when she wouldn't even give me a carrot cuz I messed up big time in one of my classes.

But I stood in the stall and thought about it for a day or so and decided to make her happy with my final performance. I think I'm getting a whole bunch of carrots this week, and I get to eat all the grass I want.

Laurie should be happy with me, regardless, cuz it's because of me she got to see all the sights and sounds of the Seattle Mariners baseball team while I stood back in the barn and scoped out my future dressage behavior.

It all turned out well for all of us, and we're glad to be home with a weekend of great memories.

Now, where are those carrots?

No comments: